Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD Spin Doctor and audio extraction

I am in the middle of a long project transfering all my old vinyl LPs to CD. Now that the CD Spin Doctor software that came with my Toast does not work with OS7, how can I extract audio from my old vinyl? Is there another software package I can use, or is Roxio going to issue an update that works?

Thanks in advance for any hints, tips and advice.

Rob

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 3:15 AM

5 replies

Jul 1, 2012 3:41 AM in response to Rob Bartholomew

How to Transfer LP Records to Your Mac

Connect Your Turntable to Your Mac

First, you need to connect your turntable to your Mac. Most Macs have an audio input jack, like the one on our eMac:

User uploaded file

Not the most intuitive symbol for audio input.

Not all Macs have audio input jacks. If your Mac doesn't have one, look into a third-party solution like Griffin's iMic.

Of course, you'll need a cable to connect the record player to your Mac. It's not advisable to connect a record player directly to your Mac - you know, for the lower sound quality reasons. You can use the headphone jack on a receiver with a phono port, or you can use another suitable pre-amp. A headphone jack and a long enough cord like this will do the trick with a receiver or a tape deck.

User uploaded file

After you plug everything in, you're ready to rock and roll!

Configure Your System Preferences

1. Now that your Mac can hear the recording, we need to make it listen. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences, and then select Sound. User uploaded file
  2. If you have an iMac, eMac or Apple portable, set the input to Microphone and run your finger over your Mac's built-in mic. (The mic looks like a little hole in your case.) This will make the input level indicator go crazy. User uploaded file

Note that the blue Input Level bar is at maximum.

When we begin recording, a "crazy" Input Level bar will be a very bad thing. Set the sensitivity of your audio input by adjusting the Input Volume slider - set it right in the middle.

3. Finally, select Line In as the device for sound input. Close the System Preferences. User uploaded file

Your Mac is now ready to listen to your record player!

Jul 1, 2012 3:45 AM in response to Rob Bartholomew

About Audio and movie recording in QuickTime Player

You can make a movie using QuickTime Player and the camera in your Mac by clicking the File menu and choosing New Movie Recording. When the recording interface appears, the FaceTime or iSight camera becomes active (a green light appears by your Mac's built-in camera). Simply press the circular record button once to start or stop your recording.

Clicking the triangle icon gives you additional options, such as letting you choose whether to use the built-in iSight camera an external camera you've connected to your Mac, and lets you adjust the finished quality of your recording.

User uploaded file

To make an audio-only recording, simply choose New Audio Recording from the File menu. Press the circular record button once to start or stop your recording. You will notice that the current running file size is displayed on the bottom right of the controls while you're recording; this changes to the total elapsed time when you stop recording. The sound meter (located at the bottom of the controls) makes it easy to ensure your volume level is consistent, and is helpful for making sure you're sitting an appropriate distance from the microphone. About 21 inches of distance between you and the microphone is a good place to start.

User uploaded file

Clicking the triangle gives you additional options, such as letting you choose whether to use the built-in microphone on your Mac, an external microphone you've connected to your Mac, a microphone from a connected Apple display, and lets you adjust the finished quality of your recording.

Tip: Changing the quality from High to Maximum will produce a very high-quality uncompressed movie file. However, uncompressed audio files can use large amounts of disk space.

CD Spin Doctor and audio extraction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.