Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

viewing .mov in iPad enable flash ?

Hi,

I have made a movie in iMovie, shared it so it is playable in iTunes, iPhone and iPad and I can play it ok. I saved it into dropbox and then viewed it from there on my iPad 3 no problem. However, a friend of mine cannot open it on her iPad 1 and keeps getting message "Please enable flash to preview this video" I have suggested she makes sure has latest software but am now at a loss what else she can do since I know flash player not on iPad.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Rick

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2), MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S Air, iPad 2

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 4:36 AM

14 replies

Jul 1, 2012 7:39 AM in response to Menneisyys

I saved Movie into my dropbox on computer. Viewed it on my dropbox webpage and right clicked to get a link like yours Yes I sent that link to her her. I also emailed that link to myself and am able to open the movie through safari on MY iPad 3.

the ONLY difference I can see is she has iPad 1 and I have iPad 3. I don't know anything about Dropbox synchronizer.

Thanks

Jul 1, 2012 7:43 AM in response to Menneisyys

I've tested Dropbox a bit further and found out that the above 1080p video isn't played back with any UIWebView-based Web browser on any iPad model (tested it on iPad 1 and 3, the former running 5.1, the latter 5.1.1, both non-jailbroken).

An 576p video like the one at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/html/042012RetinaHDVideoPlayers/anam1.mov , however, plays back just fine on both devices, even with JavaScript disabled in Settings. That is, it wasn't the security settings that prevented Safari from playing.

Jul 1, 2012 8:43 AM in response to RickAu

Just enable JavaScript - then, the iPad 1 will play it back just fine (works just fine on my non-jailbroken, iOS 5.1 iPad 1). (This video is served by a different media server than the ones I've linked above. Hence the need for Javascript.)

You can do this by enabling Settings > Safari > Javascript (third switch from the bottom)

Jul 5, 2012 7:56 AM in response to RickAu

Hi,

Apparently enabling javascript on iPad 1 did NOT do the trick. Unfortunately I cannot access the iPad myself (it belongs to a friend in a different country). They apparently have a new iPad that they will try it on IF they cannot view it on that I will report back to you. In the meantime thank you very much for your advice.

viewing .mov in iPad enable flash ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.