Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb 3 port compatibility with usb 2 devices.

Shouldn't the usb 3 port be backward compatible with a usb 2 device?. I am having trouble iwth this on my new retina

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 7:57 AM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2012 9:01 AM in response to duguyishe

I have 2 usb2 external drives--a sea gate and a wd. One sits in a standard usb2 external enclosure. The other is in a Voyager caddy with a usb3 output. They both work fine in other macs with a usb2 port. On the standard enclosure, the retina doesn't even recognize the drive. On the voyager , it erecognizes the drives but either can't read it,reads it horrendously slowly, much slower than USB 2 speed, or freezes the whole Mac, depending on its whim.

Jul 17, 2012 7:51 AM in response to duguyishe

I have had the same problem as Rcynic with my MBPR. The left hand side USB port wouldn't detect my iphone (or if it did, it kept unmounting it), but it was fine in the right hand side.

I too sort advise from Apple, although i bought my MBPR through a reseller. They said they didn't know of any problems with the USB's, however they suggested going back to the reseller, which i did. The reseller has agreed to replace my MBPR, so i am waiting for it to come into stock!!

I would appear there is some issues with USB3 at the moment IMO,

usb 3 port compatibility with usb 2 devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.