Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autosave errors

I'm somtimes getting these error messages in all iWorks applications: "The document “XXX.pages/numbers/key” could not be autosaved. The file has been changed by another application." I tried repair permissions and turn off every other app, or service that might interfere with file savings - but nothing helps. Anybody knows what this can be?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 8:07 AM

5 replies

Aug 7, 2012 1:24 PM in response to Per Sjofors

I am getting the same error in Keynote. This is brand new in Mountain Lion for me. Never had it before. I get a similar error whenever I try to save manually. After clicking OK, I am eventually allowed to save over a warning. I had thought it was strictly a new Mountain Lion but but your post on July 1 is before the release date. I tried repairing permissions but that didn't have any effect. Anyone else have any ideas?

May 24, 2013 4:08 PM in response to telefrankchi

A month or so after my original post almost, a year ago, the errors disappeared and have been gone up to about 2 weeks ago when they started to come back again, but now more intermittently, only 2-3 times a day. I never deleted any plists or did anything else. After this post, for the first time ever, I was contacted by Apple wanting to help. Unfortunately, the documents I have are confidential customer files, and I cannot just share them as I want. But, it was good to know that at least there are some Apple people that still care a little bit about non-iPad/iPhone apps.

May 30, 2013 7:04 AM in response to Per Sjofors

Yeah Simple. The New Version Saving causes this from time to time

This is based on your original file location. Where was it created? Has your file been moved from another device/Not

Your saved Version backups Will look at that files current location and try to save any changes based upon that new file location. However this can sometimes send iWork into a downward spiral.

But MOST importantly Per Sjofors you might've created your original iwork file on a different version of Keynote/Pages/Numbers.

Solution to Troublesome files:

Create a new the file using whatever app it was created in. In other words eg. open keynote choose to create a new blank file. Copy across the slides/pages/charts etc. and paste into the newly copied file. Save and done.

then trash Keynote .plist file. Quit and reopen keynote

If this process is too long then take the following apporach but BE CAREFUL.

Navigate to all of your previous versions in your /.DocumentRevisions-V100 folder. They store your files in numbered folders basically the highest number is the most recent saved change. eg 66 or whatever.

Then think about what to do. next. If you don't know how to get this far in the second method then I wouldn't recommend doing the next step because Novice's will mess up their entire Mac playing around where they don't understand. Capiche. 

Autosave errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.