Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My trash won't empty

I keep getting a message that the start up disc is almost full and when I try to empty the trash to free up some space, it starts and then suddenly stops - won't empty at all. Help

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 12:24 PM

9 replies

Jul 2, 2012 2:25 PM in response to When Harry met Sally

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. Before proceeding, you must be sure you can restore your system to the state it’s in now.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press the space bar:

rm -r

Now switch to the Finder and drag the item(s) into the Terminal window. More text will be added to what you entered.

Click in the Terminal window to activate it, then press return.

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

If any personal information appears in the output, edit before posting, but don’t remove the context.

My trash won't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.