Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank screen from idling and prompt user to log in when awaken?

Hello.

I want to stop using updated Mac OS X 10.5.8 (I think it happens in 10.7.4 too IIRC)'s Flurry screen saver and just let Mac OS X 10.5.8 blank/sleep its screen to save energy, not make Macs (Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, etc.) hot especially in the heat waves, and use less resources. I noticed making display (not the computer) sleep and then waking does not ask me to log in like a screen saver would do. Is there a way to do this for sleeping displays?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 Ghz; A1260 model; 15" size.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 1:25 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2012 3:16 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

Neville Hillyer wrote:

Just tried it - you are correct.

Here is a fix for you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4934669&postcount=16

Thanks. I will try that later. I hope it works on all Mac OS X versions beside 10.5.x. I wonder why Apple didn't include a blank black screen saver. 😝

I did find a small workaround. Set the screen saver and put display to sleep after a minute later. 😀

Jul 2, 2012 2:44 AM in response to BDAqua

The sad story is that I always sleep via an old AppleScript but can no longer find the source. It requires a password and I think it was intended to hibernate my PPC G4 tower - the same as portable defaults - pmset adjustment.

I am not convinced it any longer hibernates - must check this.

I usually document such things on the web but I cannot find the final version.

Here is an interesting link I used during my AppleScript development:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20061116062825314

Jul 2, 2012 2:55 AM in response to antdude

In my opinion this is not a good thing to do unless all your disk always power down shortly after. In general disks last longer if they stop spinning. I prefer to hibernate - RAM stored to disk and power off - activation times shorter than boot but slightly longer than sleep - these are the defaults for most portables but not desktops. See my other post.

Blank screen from idling and prompt user to log in when awaken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.