Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to buy?

Hi all.

I am thinkign about ether buying a airport extreme or airport express but i don't know witch of them is best for me

My broadband is trhow a adsl and I am using a Netgear router but that roter is only using 108mb/s and that is low for my werless network

I have those and whant to connect them to the wi-fi but don't know if the extreme or the express will be best for my chosing.

1 apple tv

1 LG blu-ray with wi-fi

1 multi printer with wi-fi

1 TV with wi-fi

3 phones

1 pad

1 desktop

2 Laptops

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 5:35 PM

8 replies

Jul 1, 2012 5:39 PM in response to Avorill

108 Mbps is actually pretty good. There aren't really many that are higher speed. DSL only gives you at best 8 Mbps for the internet. So any slowdown you have is within the network of devices that are hooked up. You could see if your router needs a better configuration by contacting Netgear. 108 Mbps is going to be slowed down by your slowest wireless device on the network that uses 802.11 protocols. Not all phones do.

Jul 1, 2012 5:52 PM in response to a brody

I am using this one http://support.netgear.com/product/DG834PN

have hade this one for very long time think about 5 years or so have never had a problem with it but the wi-fi is good but not when I am streaming my HD movies to apple tv 3 take very long time for the movie to start some times up to copple of minutes.

So my idea was using the netgear as the modem and the express or the extreme as a wi-fi network for my devices.

Jul 2, 2012 2:36 AM in response to Avorill

As long as all your devices have 802.11n support, the Airport Express should suffice as the soll wireless transmitter. If any do not have 802.11n support, connect them to the ethernet ports of the Netgear. Find out from Netgear how to disable the wireless on it, since it is limited to 802.11g. The modem part of it may need to be provisioned by your internet provider for it to work as such.

Jul 2, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Avorill

So connect those two by ethernet cable to the new Airport Extreme Router (which has 4 Ethernet ports).

The interesting thing is: with the Extreme you can set two simultaneous bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and certainly a number of your devices have the possibility to connect to the 5GHz band, which gives a much higher speed: use Network Utility to see (in Mac/Applications/Utilities), it will run at linkspeed about 300-500Mbs.

Jul 2, 2012 5:48 AM in response to Lexiepex

The Apple AirPort Extreme does not have 4 lan ports it have 1 WAN and 3 LAN ports.

and I cna't use cable becuse the router is to far a way and I hate cables want to use as litle cable as possible.

is it not possible to have the slow devises on the 2.4 and the othere devises that have "N" on the 5 Ghz band

Or maybe I shuld wait for the new Netgear DGND4000 or just buy the Netgear DGND3700.

Jul 2, 2012 8:48 AM in response to Avorill

You are right, 1Wan 3Lan 1USB.

The Extreme is downwards compatible: it accepts connections from g and n devices at the same time. And if you have the 5GHz band set, it will accept n 5GHz and n 2.4GHz and g 2.4GHz connections at the same time. Waiting for the new "ac" routers: not necessary, none of your existing devices have the "ac" possibility.

What to buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.