Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems connecting my 2012 MBA to VGA using the Mini DisplayPort-VGA adapter

I have the new MBA running the newer Intel 4000 graphic chipset (not sure if that would make a difference) but I'm running into some major issues connecting my MBA to any other displays. I have an original Apple Mini DisplayPort - VGA adapter and a generic (China made) one. I've tried it on an LG TV and the generic one and the Original apple one worked, BUT i've also tried it on a:

Skyworth TV - Apple: weird lines, Generic: nothing

BenQ 17" monitor - Apple: weird lines, Generic: nothing

24" Acer monitor - Apple: weird lines, Generic: nothing

Various DLP projectors - Apple: weird lines, Generic: nothing

Sanyo TV - Apple: nothing, Generic: nothing

Some resolutions (1280x800 or 1280x768) sort of work, but with some severly messed up images.

I've attached pictures here in hopes that I can find a solution to this issue, wether it be hardware or software or the adapter.

It's such a basic request to have a computer output a propoer image for presentations and videos. How could apple mess this up...?

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Same wallpaper on a "extended" screen layout. Above is the Sanyo TV, below is the native screen on the MBA.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4), An original Apple MiniDP-VGA adapte

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 2:23 AM

14 replies

Jul 3, 2012 1:37 AM in response to natesiy

I'm having the same problem too, with my new MBA 2012 "13.

I've borrowed all the VGA connector from everyone in office (Apple original & Generic) and tried out all the projectors in my office meeting rooms. (EPSON, SONY, NEC) Must be at least 6 different meeting rooms I've tried with same results.

Same results as yours with the Apple original VGA mini port, the screens are divided into 3 parts if not just 3 lines with blue or black screens. However the generic mini port does better with the 1440 x 900 display at 75Hz. I manage to display the screen on my MBA but it's flickering.

Such a disappointment and I'll need to present for presales in a couple of days time. Now I've to switch back to my MBA 2011 "11.

I've logged a call with the local Apple support too, pending for their investigation. Please share if you have further findings. TQ.

Jul 5, 2012 1:39 AM in response to natesiy

I've manage to solve the problem by setting it to mirroring instead of split screen setting.

Seems to me the problem exist by default to split screen on a new Macbook air. So I've got it on an LCD monitor first and toggle it between split and mirror mode. Left it a mirror mode in the end and went straight to a meeting room and hook it up. The projector's resolution and output is detected and auto from there without any issue.

I've tried out all projectors with my Macbook Air 2012 "13 without any problem now.

Tried on 3 LCD monitors(viewsonic, Philips, BenQ) both mirror and split screen mode without issue too.

Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2012 5:03 AM in response to natesiy

I have some good news.

Regarding the broken lines on the output of the Mini DisplayPort, it seems as though it "fixed" itself. My theory is, I recently installed Windows 7. Updated all the drivers on the windows side and got it to project properly with the new Intel 4000 graphic cards. Once that happened, it kind of "popped the cherry" on the port and now both Mac and Windows output properly through the Mini DisplayPort.

I've tested it with numerous adapters and once it outputed properly for the first time ever, all subsequent times work.

I now have tested in on LCD and DLP projectors, Philips monitors, Skyworth TVs, Sanyo TVs.

It's working with the Mini DisplayPort - VGA adapter.

It's also working with the Mini DisplayPort - DVI adapter as well.

Before I "popped the cherry" on the output port, nothing else worked. 1440x900 didn't work, neither did mirroring the displays. It just had to work once with whatever OS and after that it outputs fine all the time.

If you ahve the same problem as above, i'd recommend dual booting another OS, load the proper graphix drivers, get it to output properly once and hopefully it'll fix the problem like it did for my unit.

Thanks for everyone's input with the whole ordeal! 🙂

PS. after the initial output, it didn't matter which adapter I used. I kept the generic since it's cheaper, returned the apple one cuz it's exactly the same, and now bought a generic MiniDP - DVI for my at home workstation.

PPS. One final picture of it working....

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2012 1:32 PM in response to natesiy

I'm also having the exact same problem with my brand-new MBA 13". I find that the problem is resolved if the laptop is booted with the VGA adapter plugged in. This is true even if I unplug and replug the adapter later, or put the machine to sleep, or use an ethernet adapter on the Thunderbolt port, etc.

However, the original problem re-occurs whenever the machine is booted without the adapter and a display plugged in. I tried booting with ONLY the adapter plugged in (no actual display or projector attached), but the results were the same as booting without anything plugged in.

To me, this is unacceptable. I frequently give reports and lectures using my laptop, and I shouldn't have to make sure my machine was BOOTED with a display plugged in to ensure that displays will work thereafter.

Jul 10, 2012 6:34 PM in response to natesiy

I have just had the exact same issue when I turned up to give a lecture with my newly purchased MBA 11".

I am doubly peeved because I only bought the MBA for the express purpose of giving lectures and it is currently unreliable for that purpose.

I hope Arrow014's fix works for the meantime, but it would be nice to see Apple resolve this issue very rapidly.

This morning is the first time I have been badly let down by an Apple product, but it was pretty bad: lecture delayed by thirty minutes while alternative computer was found and then the resultant issues with moving powerpoint presentations between computers. Not pretty.

Aug 7, 2012 6:49 AM in response to natesiy

Guys, I've found a workaround that works for both VGA and HDMI issues, to enable you to use the MBA at clients/concerts/universities/other offices etc. It's not elegant, but it works:

- Turn off MBA completely

- Plug into an HDMI or VGA (perhaps ANY) screen

- Boot up and it'll be perfect; as others have already reported. Thus far these steps are OK for anyone who doesn't need to pre-load content. But for those of us that do...

- Now, here's the trick, u can suspend/sleep the MBA now, THEN unplug the screen, move to your new venue, THEN plug in the ANOTHER screen/projector, and turn back on again and it'll work! Yes, even tho it's a different screen, it'll flash a bit and work things out exactly like we're used to with our older macs.

- ie this enables you to set up an external display at work/home, pre-load all your presentation/content/web pages, close the MBA and go to client/lecture hall, then plug into a projector there without having lost your content.

So, in short, provided the MBA is fooled into thinking it was powered up with a screen connected, it'll work thereafter. PROVIDED it is not given the chance to think otherwise 🙂 ie don;t unplug screen whilst it is awake.

This SO speaks to a perfectly solvable firmware/driver issue. Probably around power management.

Aug 7, 2012 10:04 AM in response to ChrisBZA

I generally find that I don't have to worry about not unpluging the screen while it's awake; as long as it's booted with ANY display attached, it works with all displays thereafter until it is reset or shut down again.

Honestly, I cannot believe Apple hasn't addressed this with a patch yet. As you said, it sounds like a simple driver issue, but it's a fairly major usability flaw.

Problems connecting my 2012 MBA to VGA using the Mini DisplayPort-VGA adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.