Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i store my files?

On the hot site it only says that you can backup your files and etc., so it's a sync function. The question is, can I store my files like any other external HD?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:05 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2012 7:22 AM in response to mateuschwarz

The question is, can I store my files like any other external HD?

Yes you can. However if you plan to store "original" or "master" files on the Time Capsule, you will need to figure out a way to backup those files to another hard drive....if you want to have backups. Otherwise, if the Time Capsule has a problem, you lose all of your files.

Jul 2, 2012 9:45 AM in response to mateuschwarz

I use my Time Capsule to store all my music files that I converted from my CD's so my wife and I can add them to the itunes playlist from the Time Capsule. I have a 1tb usb drive that I formatted for mac hooked up to it so I can back up the music files. If I rip a new CD, its stored on the Time Capsule and then I just back it up on the 1tb hard drive that is plugged into the Time Capsule. The music that we download from itunes is stored on our PC's that automatically gets nacks up to Time Capsule. I'm in the process of putting all of our old photos on the time capsule so my wife and i will be able to get them whenever we want. Great Product!

Jul 2, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok, so just to clarify: If I can just mirror my files to time capsule there's no point buying a huge one, my internal drive has only 500Gb, so that means I could only store 500Gb files to Time Capsule as a mirror of mine?

An example of my desired use: I have lots of video files and music and I need to store them, no backup necessary, since I'm a long time Apple user and never had any data loss due to hardware/software failure, I just need to clean up some space on my MacBook Pro internal drive. Can I put these kind of files just on the Time Capsule without having them on my MacBook?

It's indeed a great product, wi-fi router and storage at same time, for that price, that's almost overkill.

can i store my files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.