Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating from iMovie 9 to iMove 11

How do I upgrade from iMovie 9 to iMovie 11 on my older iMac? Why doesn't 'Software Update' say that there is a newer version is available?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 7:34 AM

14 replies

Mar 24, 2017 6:25 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Ok so my iMovie won't stop crashing and it started today. I've tried looking for the .plist file that everyone on the Internet keeps talking about but there are so many and I don't know which one is the right one to delete or if I should delete all of them, so I haven't touched them.

I'm thinking iMovie 11 is the solution? Maybe if it's a new program, the old problems will go away? My biggest question is: does it replace the old iMovie in the sense that my projects in working on are still there? Or do I have to start over with everything starting with importing all the videos?

Jul 2, 2012 11:50 AM in response to versionthree

Lion is available on the Mac App Store here... http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-lion/id444303913?mt=12

iMovie 11 is available in the Mac App Store here... http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imovie/id408981434?mt=12

Note: If you can wait a couple of weeks, you might consider upgrading from Snow Leopard directly to Mountain Lion. Details are here. http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Apr 4, 2013 4:16 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hello AppleMan1958,

You appear to be the most knowledgeable person out there on iMovie topics. I believe the issue I am having is a bit different, but I wanted to ask my question in this chain to ensure you would see it. I have iMovie 09, I am currently using Mac OSX 10.8.3. I can't update to iMovie11. It claims everything is installed and no updates are available; however, as far as I can tell, it is still iMovie 09'. Have you seen or heard of this before? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

FYI...

I have tried to receive the update in the App Store, as well as, attempting to check for software updates via the iMovie file menu tab.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

David

david@pinfinity.co

www.pinfinity.co

"Freedom begins with your mind"

Apr 4, 2013 8:09 AM in response to davidwilmert

Normally, if the App Store says it has installed iMovie 11, then it is there somewhere.

Here are some things to try.

1) Look in your Applications folder. Is iMovie 09 there? Is it at the top level of the folder or is it within another folder? I could envision a situation where installing iMovie 11 does not overwrite iMovie 09 if it is not in the standard place. And if the original dock icon was still pointing to iMovie 09, then you would never notice iMovie 11.

2) If you spot two iMovies in the application folder, or if you spot iMovie 11, then double click it from the Applications folder. You should see the icon for it appear over to the right of your dock. Right click it and choose "Keep in Dock". If this works, you can drag the icon for iMovie 09 out of your dock.

3)Open LaunchPad and see if you see two versions of iMovie there. You can launch iMovie from the launchpad and then keep it in the dock as described in #2.

4) Another way to tell. Go to /About This Mac/More Info/System Report/

Under Software, click on Applications to expand the list of applications. See if you see it there.

5) In the App Store, look at your Purchases tab. See if you see iMovie 11 there. If so, try to install it.

Updating from iMovie 9 to iMove 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.