Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "refresh" metadata (dates, keywords)?

I have imported (but not copied into the iPhoto Library) thousands of scanned pictures. I found an excellent utility app in the Mac App Store (ScanFotoFXR id510978476) that lets me add keywords and read and tag original dates onto the source files much faster than using iPhoto. So, I fixed the dates for several of the scanned photos and added keywords to the photo source files, and went back into iPhoto and there was no change in the metadata and it still had the old date (the date of the scan and not of the event) and no keywords. I quit iPhoto and came back in with no change. When I locate the original photo in the finder with iPhoto and pull up the finder info window, the correct date and the keywords are there (but not in iPhoto).

So, is there a way to make iPhoto refresh the metadata for individual original photos (or an entire event)?

I have edited the colors, exposures, etc. on many of these photos in iPhoto and certainly don't want to do have to do that again with a delete and reimport.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 9:01 AM

13 replies

Jul 2, 2012 9:08 AM in response to DonnieM51

How are you making these changes? You can not ever make any changes of any sort to the contents o fthe iPhoto library using programs other than iPhoto - it is a SQL database and there is no supported way to make changes other than using iPhoto. If you changed the photos inside of the iPhoto database it will not work and could have damaged the iPhoto library --- in order to make changes you must either do it prior to importing into iPhoto or use iPhoto

LN

Jul 2, 2012 9:36 AM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

How are you making these changes?

By using ScanFotoFXR on the original files as they reside in the source folder.

there is no supported way to make changes other than using iPhoto.

I guess I was asking if there is a way, e.g. Refresh Metadata..., and then the iPhoto database could update and reconcile any changes with the original (uncopied) photo.

It does not seem to be a stretch or completely unusual that a source photo might be changed by its owner. Especially when the photo is not copied into the iPhoto Library and is just referenced as an alias anyway with just iPhoto metadata in its database instead of the actual picture. I can understand that a copied photo, and not just a reference to a photo could not be changed with a third-party app.

I wonder if rebuilding the database on startup would "refresh" the edited pictures? (what's the combination? Apple-Option???)

Jul 2, 2012 1:04 PM in response to DonnieM51

What is " the source folder."? if this is outside of iPhoto then once you have improted the photos iPhoto does not ever reference them again - hyou can do what you want with them

I guess I was asking if there is a way, e.g. Refresh Metadata..., and then the iPhoto database could update and reconcile any changes with the original (uncopied) photo.

no

It does not seem to be a stretch or completely unusual that a source photo might be changed by its owner. Especially when the photo is not copied into the iPhoto Library and is just referenced as an alias anyway with just iPhoto metadata in its database instead of the actual picture. I can understand that a copied photo, and not just a reference to a photo could not be changed with a third-party app.

Maybe it is not a streach - but that is not the way iPhoto works -- if you are using a refererenced library be aware that this is not recommended - with 9.3 if you own Aperature 3.3 it is better - but strictly with iPhoto it is a reciepe for disaster. Referenced or managed iPhoto does not update the database from the originals once they are imported - from then on only changes made using supported methods (iPhoto or Aperature) are reflected

I wonder if rebuilding the database on startup would "refresh" the edited pictures? (what's the combination? Apple-Option???)

Possibly - but I doubt it

Back up your iPhoto library, Depress the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your iPhoto library -- post back if it works

but why not make these changes to the metadate prior to importing? And seriously consider the problems you are facing using a referenced library with no advantages at all

LN

Jul 2, 2012 2:01 PM in response to LarryHN

if you are using a refererenced library be aware that this is not recommended - with 9.3 if you own Aperature 3.3 it is better - but strictly with iPhoto it is a reciepe for disaster.

I probably should be using something other than iPhoto. The iPhoto Library file can become unmanageable in size if all the photos are copied when imported. Mine is already at 20gb and I don't copy hardly anything (although iPhoto copies EVERY edited photo anyway). I don't think Picasa actually copies every picture into a HUGE library file (but I don't remember).

And seriously consider the problems you are facing using a referenced library with no advantages at all

Uh, there are very real disadvantages to importing everything into iPhoto. Can't break up the iPhoto Library to fit on 8gb flash drives (compared to folders of photos). Can't backup without taking hours. I use Image Capture to download photos from cameras into carefully labeled folders and I can share and swap photos much easier with others.

And it is a such a pain getting out a couple of pictures for others (i.e. have to open iPhoto and then export them or share them from WITHIN the app vs. just drag and drop from the Finder to wherever)

Back up your iPhoto library

Whoa, I started and it was going to take 3 hours! Never mind.

but why not make these changes to the metadate prior to importing?

🙂 I know that NOW but I've already imported (not copied, except after editing) about 5,000 photos that ALL have the same date of scanning. The iPhoto tools are just not made for going through 5,000 photos quickly and resetting dates, keywords, orientation, etc.

Maybe I'll file a feature request for iPhoto for a Refresh... option.

Jul 2, 2012 3:27 PM in response to DonnieM51

Create a test library and import some of the source photos that you've added keywords to. Then check the photo's info to see if iPhoto can read those metadata additions. This is to make sure ScanFotoFXR is adding the keywords and dates to the correct fields that iPhoto can read. Not all apps use the same fields so before you go to a lot of trouble make sure iPhoto can see these items.

If you've already done this than we will disavow all knowledge of you and this post will self erase/destruct in 10, 9, 8, ......seconds

OT

Jul 4, 2012 5:52 AM in response to DonnieM51

I probably should be using something other than iPhoto. The iPhoto Library file can become unmanageable in size if all the photos are copied when imported. Mine is already at 20gb and I don't copy hardly anything (although iPhoto copies EVERY edited photo anyway). I don't think Picasa actually copies every picture into a HUGE library file (but I don't remember).

Zero size difference - the original is the same size inside the iPhoto library and outside of it - leaving them outside creates p[roblems and has absolutely no space savings

No Picasa does not copy the originals and does not have lossless editing as iPhoto does and does not intregrate into other applications as iPhoto does and does not allow reverting to the original as iPhoto does - it is a different program - many people like it but you give up a lot over iPhoto

That is true - but so what - that is not the way you backup yoru iPhoto library - it is a SQL database and you treat it as a single entity which it is

Can't backup without taking hours.

Incorrect - I run Time Machine wich backus every change I make within an hour in teh background and then do a daily clone which agaion only copies the changed things so takes very little time

I use Image Capture to download photos from cameras into carefully labeled folders and I can share and swap photos much easier with others.

you can do that and drag the "carefully labled" folders to the iPhoto window creating events matching them - and I have no idea what hyou are speaking of about swaping photos - your method only gives you access to the originals - no access to the edits or other modifications you have made so it is harder and less successful - and every upload/attach/open window gives you access to the current edited versions of your iPhoto photos without opening iPhoto

And it is a such a pain getting out a couple of pictures for others (i.e. have to open iPhoto and then export them or share them from WITHIN the app vs. just drag and drop from the Finder to wherever)

Again incorrect - again every upload/attach/open window gives you access to the current edited versions of your iPhoto photos without opening iPhoto

LN

<Edited by Host>

Jul 2, 2012 4:35 PM in response to Old Toad

Actually never thought of creating a new library (didn't know you could 😉) to test. So, I imported 10 scanned pictures into the test library, changed the date and added keywords to the photos with ScanFotoFXR, reopened the iPhoto and the test library so I could rebuild the database, and as LarryHN predicted, the changes I made did NOT appear in iPhoto.

Then created a new library, imported (not copied again) the same ten photos with the edited keywords and the date, and yes, the keywords and the dates appear in iPhoto.

So, the changes made with ScanFotoFXR show up in iPhoto ONLY if the changes are made BEFORE they are imported, and if changed after import, they do not exist as far as iPhoto is concerned and there's no way to "refresh" the metadata (IPTC, EXIF, or file creation).

Jul 4, 2012 5:52 AM in response to LarryHN

Zero size difference - the original is the same size inside the iPhoto library and outside of it - leaving them outside creates p[roblems and has absolutely no space savings

Uh, that doesn't seem to be correct in my testing (iPhoto '11, v9.3). I created a test library, imported ten photos into it (with the copy option NOT selected in Advanced Preferences). The original size of the folder holding the photos was 12.3mb. The test library with just those photos was 15.3mb. Then I created a new library, imported the same photos but with the copy option selected, and the test2 library was 26.5mb. Almost a 100% penalty for importing with copy.

Can't backup without taking hours.

Incorrect

Well, you're talking about an incremental backup using Time Machine. Apples and Oranges. I took your direction to backup my photo library before I rebuilt the database (to see if it refreshes metadata), and I simply did a copy and paste in the Finder to create a duplicate folder, and for a 20gb library file, the Finder said it would take 3 hours.

and I have no idea what hyou are speaking of about swaping photos

You must not have a wife or kids all with their own cameras and iPhones. After an event, I collect photos from all of those places using Image Capture, throw out the bad photos, put them all on a flash drive, and let them use the flash drive to take the photos they want and put them into whatever photo manager they want on their computers.

That's whay swapping means 😉

Again incorrect - again every upload/attach/open window gives you access to the current edited versions of your iPhoto photos without opening iPhoto

You assume every photo is imported into iPhoto and tagged for easy access. Current digital photos don't need that much editing. Sometimes it's just easier to go to a labeled folder in Pictures (e.g. 2012-Anne's Birthday Party) and drag and drop to a flash drive, CD, etc.

Jul 3, 2012 3:18 PM in response to DonnieM51

, that doesn't seem to be correct in my testing (iPhoto '11, v9.3). I created a test library, imported ten photos into it (with the copy option NOT selected in Advanced Preferences). The original size of the folder holding the photos was 12.3mb. The test library with just those photos was 15.3mb. Then I created a new library, imported the same photos but with the copy option selected, and the test2 library was 26.5mb. Almost a 100% penalty for importing with copy.

The test library size represented the original photos, thumbnails, database files and other overhead files. Add the first test library, 15.3 and the source files, 12.3 and you will get 27.6. That nearly the same as the size of the second (managed) library.

The original photo in an managed library is exactly the same size as it was outside of the library. To proove it import a photo from the desktop into a managed library. Select the photo in the iPhoto window and use the File ➙ Reveal in Finder ➙ Original menu option. Check the size of the file that you are taken to by iPhoto. Then compare it to the file size of the souce file on the desktop. It will be the same. When copying image files into the library iPhoto does a bit by bit copy.

Jul 3, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Old Toad

My point, apparently not clear was that the total cost in disk space on my computer is greater with photos copied into iPhoto (managed) than not copied with import (referenced). Not that the file size of a photo inside and outside were different.

In this test example, for imported photos that were copied, the total disk storage on my computer was 26.5 + 12.3 = 38.8mb vs. just 15.3 + 12.3 = 27.6mb for referenced imports, a nearly 40% "penalty" in disk storage. Doesn't make a lot of difference when dealing with mbs but I have at least 100gb of photos. That would mean I would use an extra 40gb of space with an unmanageable 140gb library. Just don't see the advantage of managed photos (unless you are suggesting deleting the original files - which I would not do for the reasons I listed previously, mostly access issues).

As far as refreshing the iPhoto database after changes were made to the source file, I can see writing some AppleScript that goes through a specific iPhoto album, looks for the path to the original file and if it finds a valid file, the script reads the EXIF and IPTC data from the original (using EXIFtool), and then writes some of the new data (date, keywords) back to iPhoto for that picture.

Jul 3, 2012 5:18 PM in response to DonnieM51

In this test example, for imported photos that were copied, the total disk storage on my computer was 26.5 + 12.3 = 38.8mb vs

The usual workflow is to delete the source files (12.3 MB) after they have been copied into the iPhoto library. There's no reason to keep the source files on the hard drive once they are in the library. Then you have the same disk storage space being used as the referenced library.

In you want some redundancy then keep the source file on another hard drive as a backup, not on the same drive as your managed library.

How to "refresh" metadata (dates, keywords)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.