Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Sharing USB Drive

10.7.4 on iMac i7 27". I have a 2tb external USB drive hooked to the Mac and mounted. I can access the drive on the Mac no problem. The problem is, when mapping a drive to this USB drive on windows 7. I can see the share on winbloze but when double clicking the drive, I get either a parameter is incorrect or promoted for a username/password. In the case of the username/password, I enter name or ip of imac\user name and their is no password. This just continuously prompts for the username\password.

The permissions on the USB drive are read/write for the iMac user and everyone but still prompts for a user\password. Get info on the USB drive under permissions just show you have read write. When I go into sys prefs, sharing, file sharing is checked. Clicking options and all selections are checked. The odd thing is in the list of shared folders to the right where it shows permissions, it shows read/write but they are greyed out. Documents folder is also shared and I can connect to that folder with no username/password prompt.

I have rebooted the Mac, ejected the USB drive and powered it off and plugged it back in to a different USB port on the Mac. I have repaired permissions on the Mac hd too. What can I do to get this USB drive shared?

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 2:27 PM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2012 3:10 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks kappy.

I have followed most of those and in fact, the filesharing 101 is the one that i am talking about with the permissions being greyed out. Also, i want to restate, i am trying to share a drive (USB) on a mac and access it from winbloze 7 using smb://. Anything else i can try?

I can offer a teamviewer session if you like.

Jul 2, 2012 3:25 PM in response to f0rgiven

I understand, but those were the only articles I was able to track down that seemed possibly relevant.

I found this article: Share OS X Lion Files With Windows 7 PCs, but I'm not sure if this is germane.

Have you designated the drive as "Shared?" Do this by selecting the Desktop disk icon. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. Check the box labeled, "Shared folder." I believe you need to also designate a shared folder on the Windows side.

I've also found a number of articles by doing a Google search, but some of them are a bit old. Another article: Mac 101: File Sharing.

Activate the Finder window and select Help from the Help menu. Search for "file sharing." There's a whold set of help articles that may be useful.

Problem Sharing USB Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.