Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs you need to reinstall iTunes

I've installed iTunes 10.6 on my Windows 7 machine. Everytime I start it I get this message: iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs you need to reinstall iTunes.

Reinstalling iTunes made no difference.

So I found this article http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299 and updated the registry like it said and it still didn't work but it also had the effect of making my CD drive no longer work for anything, including playing movies. Before following those instructions I could read and write cds using Windows Media player. Fortunately, I had backed up my registry leaf and restored it.

So I've been trying to figure out how to burn a cd from iTunes for close to two months now with no luck. Does anybody know how to get rid of the above error message?

Thank you!

David

Itunes-OTHER, Windows 7, Firewall

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 4:56 PM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2012 2:30 PM in response to b noir

Hi B Noir,

I ran the diagnostics and here are the results:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Compaq-Presario FQ582AA-ABA SR5710F

iTunes 10.6.3.25

QuickTime not available

FairPlay 1.14.43

Apple Application Support 2.1.9

iPod Updater Library 10.0d2

CD Driver Not Available

CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1

Apple Mobile Device 5.2.0.6

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.59.0.0

Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)

Gracenote SDK 1.9.6.502

Gracenote MusicID 1.9.6.115

Gracenote Submit 1.9.6.143

Gracenote DSP 1.9.6.45

iTunes Serial Number 00D0ACBC02C48EA0

Current user is not an administrator.

The current local date and time is 2012-07-03 17:21:27.

iTunes is not running in safe mode.

WebKit accelerated compositing is enabled.

HDCP is not supported.

Core Media is supported.

Video Display Information

NVIDIA , NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

**** External Plug-ins Information ****

No external plug-ins installed.

iPodService 10.6.3.25 is currently running.

iTunesHelper 10.6.3.25 is currently running.

Apple Mobile Device service 3.3.0.0 is currently running.

**** CD/DVD Drive Tests ****

No drivers in LowerFilters.

No drivers in UpperFilters.

Failed loading CD / DVD drives, error -43. Try doing a repair install on iTunes from the "Add or Remove Programs" control panel.

Also, I am attaching an image of my driver details:

User uploaded file

David

Jul 3, 2012 5:16 PM in response to flashkube2

B Noir,

That was it! I went to the website that had the latest Gear driver and installed it and now everything works perfectly. How on earth did you figure that out? I don't think I would have ever found the solution even if I looked for months. 🙂

Thank you so much. Now I can burn some of my original GarageBand compositions to CD.

David

Jul 3, 2012 5:38 PM in response to flashkube2

🙂 You're welcome! Glad you got things sorted out.

How on earth did you figure that out?

... A combination of luck, practise and obsessive community-monitoring?

What I think is going on is that in recent times a bunch of issues that used to present as "Disk Burner or Software not found" errors (with diagnostics indicating a 2380 error) are now presenting as the "iTunes was not properly installed ..." error messages, and giving results in the diagnostics that are quite closely resembling the symptoms of the "Registry settings" message that you investigated earlier.

Fortunately, that "CD Driver not available" result in the diagnostics usually gives a heads-up that we should be checking on installation of the driver rather than checking on the device filters in the registry. i've had three or four good results (I think) with that strategy over the past couple of months.

🙂 Many thanks for reporting back with your resolution. That's of great help for advice providers when trying to check to see if there's been a "symptom change" like this with a problem.

iTunes was not properly installed. If you wish to import or burn CDs you need to reinstall iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.