Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A way to use my old 1G Ipod touch with Icloud?

Can I use an 1G Ipod touch with ICloud if I set up a PC with Itunes 10.6 and then sync the Ipod on that PC? (Currently I do sync the Ipod to a Itunes 10.6 library on the PC but have not set it up it ICloud yet)

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 5:32 PM

11 replies

Jul 3, 2012 3:38 AM in response to R.welshjr

I am not sure you are going to get much further than you are now...iTunes isn't an interface to iCloud, but a means of syncing content in its libraries with an iDevice. You will still be syncing content between the iPod and the PC, and the PC can sync the appropirate applications with iCloud but I still don't see hwo that is going to help the iPod to iCloud experience. There won't be anything in iCloud that is not already on the PC you are syncing with for the iPod. iCloud does not create content for you to sync with, it stores content from your devices and syncs that with your other appropriately setup devices. In this case, unless you have other devices syncing back and forth with iCloud you will not be getting anything other than what is already on the PC and iPod.

Jul 3, 2012 4:09 AM in response to R.welshjr

Thanks, I do understand that it is not an interface to the cloud and also should clarify that I was speaking to just one of our non Icloud compatible devices when in fact I have 3 that I want to incorporate. What I am looking at is that I have 2 Ipods (A G1 touch and a G6 Nano) that I sync to Itunes and am very happy with how that all works today. (Happy enough that having newer devices that can use ICloud is pointless unless I can get some sort of way to bridge between old and newer devices) But if we added Ipads to the household and subsequently were adding content (specifically music) through one of them I would then like to have the content to become available on the PC based Itunes where I can sync it to the Ipods. I would likewise like that content to be available to Itunes on a second PC my wife has so that she can sync it to her G2 nano. We do want the Nano's, despite not being Icloud compatible, to be able to get this content as we use them for commuting and when we go out running. The Ipod touch is too heavy an object for this (and would still be even if I replaced it with a later generation) so in the end I am just looking to make sure that, if we spent money on Ipads and had them working wiht the cloud we could move some of that content (it does not ahve to be the slick way that it becomes available between the 2 Ipads) to one of our non ICloud compatible devices so we could take it for a run with us.

The 2 non Apple PCs we are very happy with and want to remain primarily a Windows based household (which makes Apple fanatics gasp but I need the various software I use at home to be the same as what my company does) and with things like that in the mix I would need Apple stuff to work alongside it well to be worth the money.

Note - I really appreciate you taking the time to talk this stuff through with me and want to express my sincere thanks.

Jul 3, 2012 4:25 AM in response to R.welshjr

My apologies, it wasn't really clear at the start how complicated this question really was. There are three knowledge base articles you might want to read through and see how you can best handle all of the syncing tasks in front of you:

Home Sharing

Issues syncing with multiple computers

Music syncing with iPod a one way street

See if these don't give you some ideas of how to manage the tasks, which should be possible, but will take care and patience to accomplish.

Jul 3, 2012 5:42 AM in response to R.welshjr

No apologies. I was trying to keep my question concise but on hindsight that just left me leaving out important details.

We use the home sharing between the 2 PCs, that does work well. I haven't yet experienced the issues mentioned in the second article. (I say this thankfully) On the third I am fine, I don't need to use my pods to transfer material into Itunes so the 'one way street' is no problem for me.

As my existing devces age and die I will replace them with newer stuff and some of these issues will go away. But I don't want to replace them until they actually fail. Upgrading just because a manufacturer is not doing well with back/forward compatability is someting I avoid. (If anyone is designing to force the eissue I would rather just find another manufacturer) As far as waiting for them to die that could be a bit, the Apple stuff is very well made so that is not going to be any time soon. Despite my usage of Windows PCs I otherwise like the Apple stuff for everything else so don't mind drifting that direction with what we own around here. So all of these questions are to figure out how I can do that gradually over time and not just replace everything. (and for using the little Nano's I definately need to have a way)

the bottoml ine I am trying to figure out immediately is whether it is worth the money to go grab a couple of Ipads. Would they integrate nicely with the rest (which would make them handy and useful things to have around) or would they just be their own standalone world. (which renders them nothing more than new toys albeit very pretty ones)

Again, please don't apologize when in fact you have been very nice and helpful as well as patiernt with me.

Jul 3, 2012 6:01 AM in response to R.welshjr

We are all fellow users on here and not Apple employees so have freedom in what we say and opinions expressed.

I fully agree that it can be frustrating to have to make replacement decisions when a piece of equipment is working fine. I have an iMac G5 that has been working great since 2005...but the operating system is way out of date, and now the computer is starting to act up so have decided to go ahead and replace it. Also have a MacBook Pro that is great, iPad, iPod, iPhone, PC laptop and Sun Sparc workstation, so your compatibility questions and concerns are very familiar.

If your components are playing nice at this point, keep doing what you are doing, in the engineering world we have an expression, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

As to the iPad, that device can be wonderful or just a toy according to how you decide to use it. It is almost a computer in itself...I say almost because you cannot just download applications other than those in the app store, and some things like word processing are not quite as straight forward as with a computer. But with AirPrint, if you have a compatible printer, you can seemlessly print directly from the iPad.

I carry mine almost all the time, and often on travel do not bother with the MBP. The wealth of apps makes it a very powerful tool. The downside, in addition to not having certain applications I want to use, is the virtual keyboard. It works well, but for my hand size is slow to type on.

Best advice on that score is go to an Apple store or reseller and spend some quality time up close and personal with an iPad and get to know it before purchase. And keep in mind it is very powerful but is not intended to actually replace a laptop in every function.

Jul 3, 2012 2:29 PM in response to R.welshjr

I hear ya, and thanks. Once something starts acting up that is where I draw the line so i think you can feel comfortable replacing it.

As far as longevity goes the record is pretty strong here that I will be waiting for a long time - So far the only Apple device I have had that actually 'failed' was my original Ipod shuffle. But that was because the way the lanyard has it hanging in front when running exposes it to sweat which was it's undoing. The G1 Nano I replaced it with got nailed in a bike crash so I don't count that as failing, and this just happened last fall so the G1 still gave years of service before being replaced with the G6.

I grnned at your Sparc, that is a relic indeed but I bet it rules in your world just the same. I have a couple old Ultra 5's an Ultra 80, and an Ultra 45. The 45 is the newest but at a few years is old by computer standards, but that group are still the most useful of my machines for how I use them and are possibly the farthest from replacement of any of my stuff.

Jul 4, 2012 4:14 AM in response to R.welshjr

I've been using Apple machines since the IIe and a long line of Macs...but needed the PC and Unix box for certain tasks. The Mac OS X has matured to the point that I seldom use anything else now. Since Mac OS X is a flavor of Unix, the Darwin kernel Steve Jobs brought over from NeXT, is built on FreeBSD. Opening a built-in utility, Terminal, allows one to run in command mode using all of the Unix commands. Bash, csh, tsh, Bource shells are available. Comes bundled with X11 if compatibility with an open window system is needed.

And with the power of the cpus being used now, I do almost all my home-based Fortran work on the Mac.

Enough rambling, have a good Fourth.

Sep 18, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

I remember the AppleIIE was introduced to the classroom when I was in 5th grade,maybe 6th, so 1982 I think... We had a fishin game and that was it. There was nothin else for us kids to do other than screw it up! Then came the IIC and the rest is history! Anyways I also have a G1 touch and IPad. I cannot get any of my iTunes music onto the Touch. I'm afraid to plug the touch into the desktop because I don't want some new OS to destroy it, Luke it did to my iPhone 4. The iouch works great for games and things I already have but is plugging it into the computer the only way to get music?

A way to use my old 1G Ipod touch with Icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.