3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2012 3:30 AM by Klaus1
Martin Nichols Level 1 (5 points)

Hello.  Following some strange thread-crash issues after installing TechToolPro 6.0.4, Micromat recommended re-installing the system.  I installed Tiger using 'Archive and Install' from the 10.4.6 retail disc, ran the combo updater to 10.4.11 and all the 'software update' installations until everything was up to date.

The system runs and internet, mail etc. all appear fine.  However, I can't get a KM 2450 network printer to work at all, despite re-installing the drivers and checking everything several times.  Also I had to reinstall the Flash 10.1 update (last version for Tiger), which is reported as working fine by the Adobe Flash test page, but BBC iPlayer no longer recognises the Flash version, asking me to upgrade to 10.1...

The printer is connected to a Netgear 834 router/modem via ethernet, and I've always used a static IP address for it. Should it respond to a 'ping'?

I've done all the usual things: verify disk, repair permissions, tested preference files etc.  Is there anything I might have missed?

Thanks in advance,

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 (30,460 points)

For the printer issue, try resetting the printing system (which is one step belong just removing the printer and re-adding it).  For Tiger, go to System Preferences Print & Fax pane.  Click Printer Setup.  In the menu bar, under Printer Setup Utility, select Reset Printer System.

Then, re-add your printer again and see if it's working any better.

For Flash, some websites require a version of Flash Player that is beyond the last version that runs on PowerPC Macs.  There's a hack that makes these web sites believe you have a later version of Flash Player than 10.1.x. Did you maybe use that technique to make the BBC thing work before...?  Or if "BBC iPlayer" is an application, maybe you had an earlier version that supported 10.1.x.

• Martin Nichols Level 1 (5 points)

Thanks Kenichi.

I've followed ALL the recommendations on the Tiger Help pages regarding printing issues, including Reset Printer System, several times now.  I've tried different IP addresses, DHCP, and the like, but haven't found the right combination yet.  Typically the Konica documentation isn't terribly helpful, but I didn't have these issues initially.  Just set a static IP, added the printer and it worked.  Must be missing something!

The printer has options for setting Static IP, Subnet Mask, Default Router IP, DHCP, Enable Auto IP, and a whole lot more.  It confirms that 'Ethernet' is the active port.

If I try to 'ping' the static IP I get a failure message.  Should this work?

BBC iPlayer is a streaming player, embedded in their web pages.  There is no software installed on the iMac that I'm aware of, and it worked fine without any 'hacks' before the system re-install.  Interestingly, the iPlayer works on Firefox.  Annoying to have to open a different browser just for one website though.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Klaus1 Level 8 (47,590 points)

You can check here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/  to see which version you should install for your Mac and OS. Note that version 10,1,102,64 is the last version available to PPC Mac users*. The latest version,, 10.3.x beta, or later, is for Intel Macs only, as Adobe no longer support the PPC platform. Version is for Lion.

* Unhelpfully, if you want the last version for PPC Macs, you need to go here:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html  and scroll down to 'Archived Versions/Older Archives'. Flash Player is the one you download. More information here:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/838/cpsid_83808.html

You should first uninstall any previous version of Flash Player, using the uninstaller from here (make sure you use the correct one!):

and also that you follow the instructions closely, such as closing ALL applications first before installing. You must also carry out a permission repair after installing anything from Adobe.

(If you are running a PPC Mac with Flash Player and are having problems with watching videos on FaceBook or other sites, contributor Texas Mac Man suggests the following solution which fools the site into thinking that you are running the latest version:)

Download this http://www.steelbin.com/FPforFBPPC.zip to your desktop, unzip it, and replace the current Flash Player plug-in which is in your main/Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder, (not the user Library). Save the old one just in case this one doesn't work.

I am in the same boat. I cannot watch flash videos on the BBC website or on BBC iPlayer, although all other flash videos (YouTube for example) are fine.

For reasons that passeth all understanding, they work with the PPC version of Firefox, called TenFourFoxG5.app, once you have anabled plug-ins, as it does not natively support Flash.

You can download TenFourFoxG5 from here:

Now for the intersting bit: TenFourFox, like Firefox, does not support most plug-ins. Unless you are prone to headaches (in which case don't) you can read about that here:

But there is a workaround!

Open TenFourFox and type in the address bar: about:config (no spaces) and click return. This gives you a warning that it might harm the application. Ignore that and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' and you get the config file that you can edit - with great care.

Look/search (scroll down) for: tenfourfox.plugins.enabled

Set it to true. (Double click it to toggle it)

Now close TenFourFox, open it again, and Flash will now work, as it now uses the plug-ins that Safari has stored.

I am using Flash in TenFourFox and it works just fine.