Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where did my iWeb site go?

I assume other people are having this problem but I haven't found an answer yet. My iWeb site has disappeared from the internet. When I go to my web address I get a page that says Mobileme is closed. What do I do now?

Thanks,

Chris

p.s. - Why does Apple do things like this without telling their customers it is going to happen?

Macpro, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 6:22 AM

Apple told its customers a year ago that MMe would stop and the end of June.

And reminded them a month ago, and then a week ago.

Only morons failed to notice the message in the mail.

Browse this forum to see if your unique problem has been discussed several times a day every day for the past year.

Spoiler : it has.

Besides that, it has been mentioned all over the globe for the past year.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2012 6:22 AM in response to phiffdawg

Apple told its customers a year ago that MMe would stop and the end of June.

And reminded them a month ago, and then a week ago.

Only morons failed to notice the message in the mail.

Browse this forum to see if your unique problem has been discussed several times a day every day for the past year.

Spoiler : it has.

Besides that, it has been mentioned all over the globe for the past year.

Jul 3, 2012 6:36 AM in response to Wyodor

Sorry but I am a moron. Apple should help morons use their products as we are giving them money. Their instructions confuse me.

I am jealous of all you smart people who use Macs.

I guess I have missed all of these conversations all over the globe. Not only am I a moron but a hermit apparently.

Your reply wasn't so helpful Wyodor.

I clicked on a link where my site used to be and was told I need to have Lion OS. I don't want to pay for Lion OS. Does that mean I am a moron?

Does this mean I can no longer have a website with Apple?

Jul 3, 2012 8:57 AM in response to phiffdawg

iWeb gives you another two ways to publish your website...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/Publish-Website.html

... and here are some pointers for choosing hosting...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/iWeb/Website-Hosting.html

If your site used a domain name you will need to point this at your new server. Contact your domain name registrar about this once you have got the nameservers from your new host.

Also update your SEO...

http://www.iwebformusicians.com/Search-Engine-Optimization/SEO.html

Jul 3, 2012 9:31 AM in response to phiffdawg

If you have a .mac or .me email address you'll have to sign up for iCloud or you'll lose the address and all emails stored on the MMe servers. There is a way for older Macs to keep their email addresses although they won't be able to use the other services of iCloud, i.e. syncing of calendars, contacts, etc.

See this website by Roger Wilmut: iCloud Mail settings in Snow Leopard or Leopard.

If you don't have a .mac or .me emaill address or don't care if you lose it there's nothing for you to do but get a new host for your website following Roddy's suggestions.

OT

Jul 4, 2012 12:03 PM in response to phiffdawg

You can most certainly have a website that you designed using iWeb and it will still work although, as you have discovered you will no longer be able to host it on MobileMe.

Just find a new host for your site and purcahse a domain name if you need to - companies that provide both are http://www.godaddy.com or http://www.hostexcellence.com and there are many others out there that provide both.

Jul 16, 2012 3:44 AM in response to phiffdawg

Yeah, the nastiness is 100% unnecessary. The fact is people who went through Apple's .me service got the shaft on this whole deal. Who wants to go through the hassle of trying to find a new home for their website, redirecting DNSs, etc.? You know, normally when you get kicked out of a place, the landlord has to pay you for re-location costs. I realize this is cyber realty and not physical, but the idea is the same. Here we got nothing but a series of "warning" emails.

Jul 16, 2012 6:11 AM in response to Ken Townsend

Apple did not pay re-location costs, but what they did do when they made the announcement that MMe was shutting down was to extend all MobileMe users subscriptions for free up until June 30th 2012, so however long you had left on your subscription it would have been extended for free by Apple at no cost to you, so in this case they don't need to pay re-location costs becasue they gave you warning that MMe was shutting down a whole year in advance so that you could make alternative arrangements and also extended your MMe subscription for free.

Sep 17, 2012 6:06 PM in response to phiffdawg

Just wanted to respond to the rude post. We also did not know mobile me was ceasing to exist. I have never gotten the apple mail program to operate properly so finally gave up and had email for the web site directed through gmail. We have not watched tv for several years, since it went digital. all our news is from NPR ,so it is possible to have missed this information and not be a moron ,SFB. I would like to thank the other respondents for thier helpful and polite information. Any ideas on how to regain first page status in search engines after your website has dissapeared?

Where did my iWeb site go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.