Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini with Lion server recovery

Hi all,

I just got a new Mac mini with Lion server and due to my stupidity, without double checking if my Leopard server backup was good, I jumped in and started migrating from the external HD backup right away and for some reason, although it finished everything, but it says there was an error and I can't use any of my old passwords to login.

Anyway, I decided to start fresh but the Lion recovery, since I didn't really finish the migrating or set up process, there is no network information in the new server and I think the recovery partition hasn't been built yet, because when I press command-R, it tries to connect to the internet but since we don't have a wifi router in the office, the only way out was through the good old cat5 cable.

I think I have two options and I need your opinions:

1) I take the mini home and use the broadband at home to do the recovery and then bring it back to the office for set up.

2) I have the Lion OS thumb drive in the office, so I can install Lion with the thumb drive and upgrade to server after.

Problem is......

if I choose 1, I'm not sure if there will be a lot of network issues afterward because last time we had to change ip in the office, my old server went nuts until I found out all I needed to do before changing ip was to use the "changeip" command! yeah I know.... duh.......

if I choose 2, since I bought it as a server, will I have to paid the server add on again?

Did I miss something? Anyway, any help would be great!

Thanks all!!

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 9:20 AM

Option two!

As long as you're using the same Apple ID as the one that purchased Lion Server, you should be able to download it again without issue.

Just go to the purchases tab in the app store.

Doing it like this will prevent all the changeip madness, and will save you time!

-Graham

2 replies

Jul 16, 2012 12:07 AM in response to gracoat

Thanks and sorry for the super late reply! At the end I had to get a wifi router to get it restore! Since the mini came with Lion server, it won't let me use the thumb drive to install. I can see it if I press option on start up, but when I chose it, it gave me a "no entry" icon 😢

Anyway, since the office needed a wifi router anyway, so ......... yeah thanks!

Mac mini with Lion server recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.