Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After restore from iCloud, what do I choose when i plug into itunes?

I have the basic 5gb free storage from icloud. I stored my contacts on there and thats pretty much it. My iphone4 got lost so I got a new SIM card and put it into my fiancees old phone (also an iphone4). When i put in the new SIM, it downloaded all of my contacts to the phone immediately. But now, I need to plug into iTunes to get my apps and music. Only problem is, for some reason the last time iTunes did a sync it only copied 60 contacts into my MacBook Pro address book. So, now I dont know what to do. When i plug into iTunes it asks if I want to "restore from backup (the last one is March 30, 2012) or set up as new phone. I dont want it to restore from March 30, but I know I synced my phone with iTunes two weeks ago to put new music on my phone. So I am wondering if I set up as a new phone can I just sync the apps and music that I want off itunes onto my phone and then sync the iCloud contacts that are now on my phone onto my computer? Or will I lose my icloud backup in the process if I do this?! HELP!!!

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 9:02 AM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2012 11:22 AM in response to goldilox288

If your primary concern is preserving your contacts I suggest you use the app My Contacts Backup. This will back up your contacts as an attachment to an email. Send this email to yourself. If something goes wrong and you lose some or all of your contacts, you can open this email on your phone and tap the attachment to re-import them to the phone. I would then, prior to connecting your phone, open iTunes on your computer and go to Preferences, and on the Devices tab check "Prevent...from syncing automatically". You can then connect your set up the phone as new or restore it from you previous backup if you have one. Then go the the Info tab of your iTunes sync settings and uncheck Sync Contacts, review your other sync settings and when you have them the way you want, click Apply to sync your phone. This should return your music and other iTunes media to your phone. Then go back to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and re-enable automatic syncing. Now disconnect your phone and turn on iCloud syncing for Contacts if not already on (if prompted, choose merge). If your contacts were somehow deleted from the phone in this process, use the My Contacts Backup email to import them to your phone again.

Jul 3, 2012 11:51 AM in response to randers4

That is so helpful I will definitely use that app! My last backup for whatever reason says it was on March 30th, even though I have synced since then... I guess you have to tell it to back up too? It might be easier to just start as a new phone on itunes, but my worry is that if I do that will it still allow me to download all of my apps from my existing itunes account back onto my phone?

Jul 3, 2012 12:09 PM in response to goldilox288

If you set up your phone as new you will still be able to sync back all your apps, music and other iTunes media to your phone. You will, however, lose your app data, text message conversations, etc. unless you choose to restore to your older backup.

On your question about the backup, iTunes will create/update your backup as the first step in the sync process when you sync your phone. The only thing that would prevent this is if you are backing up your phone to iCloud. If you are, then the sync process no longer automatically backs up your phone to your computer. (You can always still manually back it up by rignt-clicking on the name of your phone in iTunes and selecting Backup, it just doesn't happen automatically when you sync.)

After restore from iCloud, what do I choose when i plug into itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.