Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen jumping around, and randomly starting - why?

my screen sometimes jumps around and opens random pages etc - why help please

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 11:27 AM

A protective case might make this happen, or maybe your accidentally touching somewhere else on the screen with your arm, wrist, or other hand.

If it isn't that, try restarting your iPad.

You can also restore it, to make sure there isn't anything wrong with iOS.

If it keeps happening after trying the stuff above, it'll need service.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2012 11:27 AM in response to freuchie

A protective case might make this happen, or maybe your accidentally touching somewhere else on the screen with your arm, wrist, or other hand.

If it isn't that, try restarting your iPad.

You can also restore it, to make sure there isn't anything wrong with iOS.

If it keeps happening after trying the stuff above, it'll need service.

Jul 30, 2012 6:06 PM in response to freuchie

My iPad 2 is doing this also. I have tried power off / power on and Restore. No go ... still jumping.

Also disabled blue tooth (just in case) ... No go ... still jumping.

I think it may be related to when battery life is below 60%, but that is a guess.

Months ago when this occurred I cleaned the screen off good and it fixed it. So I thought it was a dirty screen. But now it is occuring again witha clean screen.

Next step ... AT&T Store (where purchased) and if they can't resolve, then Apple Store.

Please post if you have made any progress in resolving this on your iPad.

Aug 4, 2012 6:12 PM in response to freuchie

I had this occur and tried reset, power off/on, restore from backup, closing all apps, cleaning screen. But no resoution. (with my phone I took a video of this occuring, as it was sporatic and did not occur when I took it to the AT&T store where I purchased it)

Took it to an Apple Store. They ran diagnostics and determined it was a hardware issue.

Because it was within 1 yr of purchase, they replaced it.

Apple Store was so efficient/effective in trouble shooting.

Oct 20, 2015 6:17 PM in response to CEABEL

I have the same problem. Went to apple store and the ipad was as good as gold, no jumping around, and such. Had it diagnosed and found no problems. The agent suggested it is hardware problem.

My ipad is 3years old and past warranty so apple would not replace. When brought back home, the same problems occurred. At this point, I am ready to throw it out of the window.

Any suggestions?

screen jumping around, and randomly starting - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.