4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 12:31 PM by Tesserax
lalvarado9000 Level 1 Level 1

I'm trying to buy one but not sure which one is faster for my house.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen)
Solved by John Galt on Jul 3, 2012 3:00 PM Solved

The 802.11ac standard in the Netgear R6300 is still in development. Nothing is yet able to take advantage of it.

Buying a faster router would be like connecting a six inch water pipe to your shower head, when your supply is still 1/2". It won't do anything for you.

Reply by Tesserax on Jul 3, 2012 2:45 PM Helpful

What model of the Netgear are you referring to that offers 1750 MegaBytes per second? Even if that was supposed to be Megabits per second, I am not aware of any consumer router that offers either wired or wireless bandwidths in that range.

Reply by lalvarado9000 on Jul 4, 2012 12:04 PM Helpful

Netgear R6300

All replies

• Tesserax Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless

What model of the Netgear are you referring to that offers 1750 MegaBytes per second? Even if that was supposed to be Megabits per second, I am not aware of any consumer router that offers either wired or wireless bandwidths in that range.

• John Galt Level 8 Level 8

The 802.11ac standard in the Netgear R6300 is still in development. Nothing is yet able to take advantage of it.

Buying a faster router would be like connecting a six inch water pipe to your shower head, when your supply is still 1/2". It won't do anything for you.

• lalvarado9000 Level 1 Level 1

Netgear R6300

• Tesserax Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.wireless
    Wireless

John has already addressed this, but the other thing you have to consider is that Wi-Fi requires a minimum of two players: 1) wireless router, and 2) the wireless client. When the new 802.11ac products come to market, you are still going to have all of the wireless clients using the previous standards: a,b,c,g, & n. None of them will get any bandwidth performance increase connecting to these new routers. Until computer manufacturers offer 801.11ac wireless cards with their laptops/desktops, you will not be able to take advantage of this new techology.

... so trying to compare routers using different 802.11 standards is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.