Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Preferences Not Saved After Restart MBP 10.6.8

Hi Everyone,

I've had a difficult time finding an answer to this question / problem that I can understand, and I'm hoping someone can help me. (The IT department where I work has not been able to help.)

Whenever I need to restart my MacBook Pro, a bunch of my preferences are lost. For example, I have to drag Google Chrome back in the dock. I lose my Expose preferences, login items I've disabled still pop up. Keyboard shortcuts with Spotlight (which I keep disabled because of a program I use), get set to default.

It's terrbily frustrating to have to reset all these things over and over again and I can't find the answer. Part of it is I'm not terribly saavy with computer language. I can find the Terminal and type in commands though. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. I'll try whatever I need to.

MacBook Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo

(If any more info is needed on my machine, just let me know.)

Thanks so much,

-Scotty

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 12:13 PM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2012 3:03 PM in response to scottyalderman

Sounds like you might have a series of corrupt preference (.plist) files, or else more problems.

likely a corrupt

com.apple.systempreferences.plist and a com.apple.dockpreferences.plist files in your User/Library folder

However it might not be just that alone

Run through this list of repairs in the order given (1-16)

Step by Step to fix your Mac

If you can't isolate the and solve problem by #16, then do #17 after backing up your data

Oct 3, 2015 8:52 AM in response to scottyalderman

Hi Scotty,

It took time to me solving this same issue (preferences not saved in Apple Mail, Calendar... even Mail password sometimes couldn't save).

I suspected user permissions were wrong but correcting permissions with Disk Utility did not help. Even the "Reset home folder permissions and ACL's" did not fix the issue.

Try BATCHMOD (http://batchmodmac.en.softonic.com/mac) and fix your /users/username/library permissions by checking the "Clear ACLs (10.5+)".

It worked for me. Hope it will be of help.

K.R.

System Preferences Not Saved After Restart MBP 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.