Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't quicktime fullscreen to the right monitor?

I recently upgraded to OSX Lion, and now when I open a video in Quicktime, it changes monitors when it goes fullscreen rather than staying on the monitor I have it playing on.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 1:34 PM

2 replies

Jul 9, 2012 2:11 PM in response to Justindustrial

Unfortunately Lion's fullscreen mode is fairly broken. When you fullscreen an application you lose access to all but one monitor, and also lose useful access to other applications.

Fullscreen applications in previous versions of OSX worked much better. Its hard to figure out exactly why Apple did what they did in Lion. Previous OS releases did what Lion does and a whole lot more, and were very flexible. Lion's fullscreen mode is a huge dumbing down.

Sep 10, 2012 10:59 PM in response to Justindustrial

Justindustrial wrote:

I recently upgraded to OSX Lion, and now when I open a video in Quicktime, it changes monitors when it goes fullscreen rather than staying on the monitor I have it playing on.

In Lion, the full-screen implementation moves the application to the primary display (the one with the menu bar). To have QT go to full screen on your secondary display, you need to go into System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement and drag your menu bar to the secondary display prior to putting QT into full-screen mode.

An alternative method is to use QT 7, which doesn't know anything about Lion's native full-screen mode. QT 7 will go full screen on whichever monitor you choose.

Why doesn't quicktime fullscreen to the right monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.