Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to install Windows 7 BootCamp on External HD?

I just got my macbook pro retina 2.3 ghz with a 256GB SSD. I want to install Windows 7 + Bootcamp on an external hard drive, and be able to boot from it, and access programs, games, and any files on it. Is this possbile? I havent yet purchased an external hard drive. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 1:30 PM

10 replies

Jul 3, 2012 1:39 PM in response to Kappy

Okay so if I installed Windows 7 Bootcamp on my internal hard drive, and installed it, would I be to install and play Diablo 3 or Modern Warfare 3 if the files are on my external HD?

Jul 3, 2012 1:44 PM in response to Community User

Usually applications' installers give you a default installation location and prompt if that's where you want to install it. You can change that to a different location, such as an external drive. This will likely slow down the game a bit if it has to load data from an external drive instead of the SSD.

You need to decide whether it's better to install everything on the SSD, thus, requiring a larger allocation of space for the Windows partition.

Jul 3, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, and finally do you have any recommendations for quality thunderbolt external drives? (SSD or Standard)

Oh and the macbook pro retina doesnt have a firewire port AFAIK.

Jul 3, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Shootist007

I assure you a Windows installer will not install to an external drive, nor can you boot the Windows installer from an external optical drive with the exception of Apple's USB SuperDrive when connected to a MBA or Mac Mini.

Now, with the help of a Windows PC and some third-party Windows software it is possible to create a Windows installer that will work from a USB flash drive.

Possible to install Windows 7 BootCamp on External HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.