Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iMac to PC

I have just built a PC with Ubuntu 12.04 as the OS. It is connected to my AirPort Extreme Base Station via an ethernet cable. The AEBS is connected directly to our broadband modem via cable.

We have a G4 iMac, a G4 PowerBook and an Intel iMac all connected wirelessly.

All four machines can access the internet without any problems. The three Apple computers can connect with each other via 'Go > Connect to Server...'

I want to connect my Intel iMac to the Ubuntu machine. Can this be done, in theory, with 'Go > Connect to Server...' ?

(According to 'Connection Information' on the Ubu machine, it has an IP address 10.0.1.x, but attempted connections using this address have failed.)

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 4:19 PM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2012 4:53 PM in response to Rod Fryer

I want to connect my Intel iMac to the Ubuntu machine. Can this be done, in theory, with 'Go > Connect to Server...' ?

(According to 'Connection Information' on the Ubu machine, it has an IP address 10.0.1.x, but attempted connections using this address have failed.)

The key here is that Ubuntu uses the same file sharing protocol (SMB/CIFS) as Windows boxes. Please check out the following Apple Support article for details. Also, be sure that you have configured your Ubuntu box for file sharing.

Connecting iMac to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.