Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Alum Keyboard Fkeys issue in WinXP

Hello all,

I have a 24" iMac, runs excellent. I run Windows XP on it for work, OSX for all other stuff.

I have a USB keybaord. I went on a trip, took my computer, forgot my keyboard, used brothers keyboard to setup an Apple wireless alum keyboard (small thing) and a couple of days later, bought a new USB Alum keyboard (love the larger keyboard) and hooked it up.

However, now my FKeys in Windows XP no longer have Eject, PrintScreen (F14 key), volume, mute, etc, when in Windows XP mode.

I have been looking everwhere for a fix. Does anyone have any clues?

On my Bootcamp control panel, there is 'no' Keyboard F keys 'on' page. No keyboard settings at all in Bootcamp. Mind you, this is an iMac 24" with the old Bootcamp for Windows XP.

Any thoughts?

LH

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 4:01 PM

4 replies

Jul 7, 2012 1:50 PM in response to lionheart_001

lionheart_001 wrote:

Many thanks RKaufmann, but that didnt do it. Resetting via unplugging did nothing.

I wonder what happened? If only there was a way to get the drivers and load them manually for the keyboard.

OS X is NOT like MS Windows where you have to download drivers. Just to ensure you did the SMC reset correctly (there are different methods for different models of Macs) please closely follow the directions in iMac SMC and PRAM reset and also reset the PRAM too.

Jul 9, 2012 11:36 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I found the issue. Unfortunately, its the keyboard.

The brand new keyboard I purchased does not support Windows XP via Bootcamp. I can only figure this was because the Bootcamp system no longer supports Windows XP, so Apple must have made the Keyboards to no longer run the 'computer commands' in the top F-Key section.

To prove this, when I got home, I plugged in my older USB Apple Keyboard and the F-Key computer commands for eject, volume, mute, screen illumination, and print screen, now all 'work'.

RKaufmann, I did do the reset as stated. That didnt do it. Its clearly a hardware issue via a new keyboard change.

I am saddened by this. I love those keyboards and I do tend to go through them quite a bit. I am thinking its time to move on... 😟

USB Alum Keyboard Fkeys issue in WinXP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.