Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PHP Script, Adobe GoLive, oh my!

I decided that I wanted to start my own community-like site where you are able to sign up as an individual user, communicate, and interact. It is not a discussion board, but a community. I looked into it, learned the basics of PHP script so that I could make this possible, and I'm all ready to go.

Exccept for the fact that I haven't a clue about how to actually INSERT the PHP into my site. I'm using Adobe GoLive, and I've read tons of help topics on it but I cant understand these things:
-Will GoLive write PHP for you like it does with HTML?
-Does it even support PHP?

All help is welcome!

Power PC G4, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 17, 2006 7:53 PM

9 replies

Mar 19, 2006 6:05 AM in response to Damsel_In_Distress

golive does not provide any php authoring/testing facilities (you could improve things a bit with zend studio and their golive plugin, but for an integrated web/php developmemt environment something like dreamweaver might be a better choice if you will be doing a lot of work)

but you can still use golive to manage the site...

to use php with golive you simply add the php files to your golive site, just drag & drop, or for a new file create the whatever.php file in golive and use golive's text editor to input your code

but golive won't run php for you, so to actually test things properly you need to upload the site to a server supporting php

you can use your mac for this if you enable the webserver and set golive to ftp the site to the right place on the mac, you may need to tweak the apache config on your mac to get things working the same as your hosting service's

once set up, you can access the site from your mac as http://localhost/

as another poster mentions, the adobe golive forum will give you a better audience for your question

Mar 20, 2006 8:40 AM in response to Damsel_In_Distress

gl probably had some php/mysql support called "dynamic content", but adobe dropped this from golive cs/cs2, i think gl 6 was the last release with the dynamic content features, but i never used this release so i'm just guessing

if you are comfortable creating the php with just gl's text editing then there's no reason to add other tools/products

using your mac to test the site by running it locally makes this fairly painless

in fact, once you've got the site running on the mac i suggest edit the running site's *.php files direct as you develop, then once you have it right just sync the local running site back onto the gl managed site to create the final gl site that can then be uploaded to your host

there's a tutorial here on setting up apache/php/mysql etc. on the mac...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html

...it is not up to date, so regard it as strong hints of the way to go rather than following it to the letter

PHP Script, Adobe GoLive, oh my!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.