5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 8:24 PM by Limnos
neil163 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

do I need to clearn my hard drive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (44,445 points)

What are you doing? Selling the computer, or just as general maintenance (no to the latter)?

• neil163 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am just trying to clean it up. I guess I am use to disc clean and the defrager that Window has. Did a lot of maintance till I switched. Now i am wondering, what do I need to do to keep my computer clean and running fast?

thx

Kappy's Personal Suggestions for OS X Maintenance 2012 - https://discussions.apple.com/message/18694950

Generally Macs need less maintenance of the kinds you're used to with PCs.  There are many, very long discussions about fragmentation, but as long as you don't push your Mac to the space limits or work with huge files you're okay.

Avoid general maintenance tools, especially ones being pushed at you by marketers.  They can really mess up your computer.

Main tips from me:

1) Always make sure you have at least 15% of your drive free at all times, or at least 15+ GB.  OSX needs room for temporary files in everyday running.

2) Periodically (every other week?) run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive.  If it reports issues we can provide instructions on repair.

By the way, you posted in iMac(ppc) but say your computer is running 10.6.8  No PPC can run 10.6.  You'll get faster, more experienced responses by posting in the correct forum (for this kind of question, the Snow Leopard forum).

• neil163 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you. I am learing how to use Apple and especially this site. Have had good luck searching and finding answers. I know I have a mac, was not sure what the PPC was. Will caruse the Snow Leopard forum next time. Again, thanks.

PPC was the processor architecture used before they started putting Intel chips in Macs back in 2006.