Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to switch a hard drive from a ppc to an intel?

I have a G5 powermac PPC and I want to buy an Intel Mac desktop but I want to make sure my HDD's will work inside of the intel Mac. Can someoen let me know if this is a possibility? Thanks for any assistance!

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6), PPC

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 4:27 PM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2012 4:39 PM in response to Kappy

It would not be an iMac Just a Power Mac running an intel cpu. right now my PPC Pawer Mac is running but I can upgrade some of my important apps and flash player unless i have a intel! I just don't want to loose my operating system of apps if I get a new machine so I figured I could just save the drives and use them in an intel machine!

Jul 3, 2012 4:58 PM in response to Benzilla

OK. There is no such animal as an Intel PowerMac. There are three desktop Intel Macs: 1. the Mac Pro; 2. Mac Mini; and, 3. the iMac. All other Intel Macs are notebooks.

Note: these are Apple's forums, not yours. What is welcome here is set forth by Apple in the Terms of Use you were to read when you opened your ASC account.

Jul 4, 2012 2:59 AM in response to Benzilla

OK, Everyone calm down and take a few deep breaths. .... I believe I can help sort this out, and being an Idiot, I could be wrong.

I think what Benzilla is asking is; < Can he use the the HDD('s) from his PPC G 5, with OS and APP's in an INTEL PRO MAC (desktop) with success ?, or, In other words, will it work just transplanted with OS & APP's going from a PPC to an INTEL MAC PRO ?

The Answer I believe is; NO !! ... the OS's are completely different for INTEL MAC's, and the APP's won't work either, even if you changed the OS, as they are also different PPC to INTEL, ( a few may work under the same name, but a different download for Intel, so Basically NO !)

The last part of the question; will your HDD work in an INTEL machine ? .... from what I've read here (remember I'm an IDIOT) ..... if their the same type, I.E.; SATA (1, 2, 3 (?)) ... If wiped clean and reformatted, EVEN the FORMATS ARE DIFFERENT !!! ..... Then you can load an INTEL OS on it, then add APP's you want, in INTEL format.

OP. SYS's go up to 10.5.8 for PPC's ONLY, ..... NEWER, OS 10.6.x and 10,7.x are INTEL ONLY.

OTHER FOLKS WITH MORE REAL SMARTS WILL CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ABOUT HDD TYPES IN ABOVE PARAGRAPHS.

MONEY IS A REAL PROBLEM FOR ALL OF US. ... So if your loaded with it, when you buy your INTEL MAC PRO, you can equip it with SSD (Solid State Drives) as they don't wear out and are faster than greased lightning and hold TERRA BYTES of stuff.

All of this newer stuff is out of my league and over my head, I am still pounding 2 rocks together here. And often hitting my thumbs !!!

Hope this helps with your question, and every one is now relaxed, oooomh, ooooomh, ooooomh ......

Jul 4, 2012 11:04 AM in response to wayne146

Pretty good Wayne! 🙂

Actually 10.5.x is an exception to the OS rule, it is quite possible that 10.5.x is indeed a "Universal" install, both PPC & IntelMacs, (that can support booting 10.5.x at all) booting from the same drive if it was installed from a Retail Install Disc on a PPC Mac.

And while newer IntelMacs running Lion/10.7 or greater can no longer run PPC Apps due to Rosetta being dropped, any Mac running 10.6.8 or less will run many PPC Apps.

I'd suggest an older used Mac.

Is it possible to switch a hard drive from a ppc to an intel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.