Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer screen is skipping and switching erratically between sites. Sometimes it just switches to a grey dashboard screen.Has anyone had this problem?

My computer screen is skipping and switching erratically between sites/functions. Sometimes it just switches to a grey dashboard screen. Has anyone had this problem?

iMac

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 5:48 PM

3 replies

Jul 4, 2012 1:35 AM in response to SeoulHome

Does this problem return if you restart the Mac?

If this is with a recent iMac, do you use wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse/trackpad? If so, maybe it is receiving erratic Bluetooth signals for various random "swipes" (gestures) on a trackpad (even if no one is touching a trackpad). The things you describe sound like trackpad gestures.

As a test, if you have a wired USB keyboard and mouse, or even just a USB mouse, you could try turning OFF Bluetooth temporarily and see if this behavior stops.

Jul 4, 2012 8:22 AM in response to SeoulHome

We can be more help with hardware issues if we knew which iMac variant you have. There have been four families of iMacs dating to 1998 and they have different issues and troubleshooting needs. Please do "About this Mac" from your Apple menu, and post what that says about your processor and the version of the Mac OS you have installed.

If your iMac is from 2006 or later, we'll need to reroute you to a different forum.

Dec 21, 2014 10:14 AM in response to SeoulHome

Please tell us you iMac model and the Mac OSX version you run. iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 in four broad families and hundreds of variants. Without knowing your specific Mac type, someone trying to help might give you advice inappropriate for your model.

A good place to start to determine in which family yours resides is to do "About this Mac" from your Apple menu (left end of menubar) to get this window:

User uploaded file

Note I've indicated two entries with red arrows. Please tell us what your computer shows for "Version" under OSXn and for your processor.

The forum you are in now, "iMac (PPC)" is for iMacs made between 1998 and 2006.

My computer screen is skipping and switching erratically between sites. Sometimes it just switches to a grey dashboard screen.Has anyone had this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.