Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mobileme transition confusing me

I was having so much trouble after restoring a failed drive to a new drive during my attempt to download Lion for the transition to iCloud that I finally just went to me.com and told it to transfer me with "not all devicies ready" and did that. NOW finally the restored drive IS in fact recognizing my Apple ID and is downloading Lion as I speak finally (from a prior purchase this weekend).

When it COMPLETES the download and i install it, will I FINALLY be able to get my iCloud to work with my MAIL program or is it going to wipe out any accounts in my email? And what about all my calendar and contacts stuff? I don't want to lose anything.....It was working fine before I had to tell it "move to icloud with not all devices ready" -- i was terrified of losing my email accounts.

What do i do when the Lion upgrade from my snow leopard finally finishes downloading in 30 minutes? Install .... and then during the install is there some sort of option to get my Mail / calendar / contacts on my Macbook connected with the Cloud instead of have all that stuff only available wherever it is now?

MacBook, macbook 13 inch from 2008

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 10:34 PM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2012 11:58 PM in response to eaglelark

If you have migrated, your email is living on the iCloud server and will not be affected by signing in and out etc on your Mac. You should be able to see it on the Mail page at http://icloud.com

Remove the MobileMe account from Mail and sign out in System Preferences>MobileMe. This will not delete any emails.

Install Lion.

When installed, go to System Preferences>iCloud and sign in with your @me.com address. Check Mail and any of the other data types you want to sync in the checklist.

Jul 5, 2012 2:01 AM in response to annmstewart@mac.com

You can transfer them but not sync them.

In Address Book, select all your contacts and from the File Menu choose Export>Export vCard.

At http://icloud.com go to the Contacts page, click the cogwheel icon at bottom left and choose 'Import vCard': select the file you just exported from Address Book. If there are a lot of contents it may take some time to upload them all.

Obviously changes made at either end cannot be automatically transferred to the other.

mobileme transition confusing me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.