Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot send or receive mail

Help- I am getting conflicting viewpoints from Apple regarding being unable to send and receive mail on my new Ipad 2. I can receive mail eveyrwhere else I take my Ipad.

I recently was given an Ipad 2. I sent it up and had no problem receiving and sending mail. When I returned home I could no longer receive nor send mail to my Ipad. I took it to an Apple store and was told that I needed to have Comcast reset my connection with a WPA password. I asked if I needed a new modem and was told no. I know that my router, which is a Motorola Gateway SBG900 wireless, is set with a WPA password. The router is approx. 5yrs old.

I called Comcast and they couldn't help me with my Ipad problem. I called APL-Care and was told that I needed a new modem. I haven't had any problem with my router connecting to my computer. I don't want to purchase a new router if it isn't needed.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 5:06 AM

11 replies

Jul 5, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Tom,

Thanks for the info you sent. I have tried everything you mentioned to no avail. It's so frustrating. I can access the internet via my Ipad in my apt and have no problem accessing anything else. It is only in the receiving and sending of mail. I even tried a new router and no luck.

I just don't understand why I don't have te problem in any other location. I can even access the mail in my smart phone. It seems silly that in Ipad I have to go directly to my Yahoo account and not be able to use the mail icon.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 20, 2012 6:07 PM in response to sveiks

I have Motorola SBG900 and can only receiving inbound gmail to Mail if the the firewall is "off". I've called Comcast and Motorola. Nothing works. Today I read on a number of discussion forums/sites that this wireless gateway is preconfigured by Motorola and will absolutely not receive in to a mail client and that there is no customization that will change that. I have never seen any solution yet that actually changes that and I've been looking for days.

Aug 10, 2012 6:49 PM in response to Miss Mercury

Wow. I have this EXACT same issue and I am unable to even add any email accounts to my iPad or iPod touch when I'm at home. The funny thing is that my Android phone has a mail app that works absolutely fine when connected to this same router. I am able to download gmail and my school email without a hitch. I really hate the idea of having to purchase another router just to use Apple products, especially since I'm a student and can't afford to do that. I'm really thinking of just returning my iPad and calling it a day.

Jan 19, 2013 2:51 PM in response to jcer14

Wow, I've been dealing with this problem for a long time with multipe iPhone's and iPads. Had basically given up, til the wife started pushing me again because she "had to have" her GMail on her new iPad Mini. After figuring out I could only get mail when I turned my Motorola SGB900 WI-FI Cable Modem firewall policy to "None" (and I wasn't about to go without firewall security), the toughest thing was accurately describing the problem in a Google search. Tootincommon's solution solved the problem perfectly. Thanks jcer14 for the ports list - you made it easy. Right after setting the custom firewall policy, my Daughter walked in the room and said "Dad, all at once I'm getting my GMail messages!" Wife's happy too "Happy Wife = Happy Life". Thanks!!!

Oct 14, 2013 4:15 PM in response to tootincommon

Back again, 9 months later... after updating iPad Mini to iOS7 (and getting an iPhone 5S), I can no longer send/receive mail (unless I set firewall policy to "None"). I reverified the custom modem settings that fixed the problem last time, and they are still in place. Do you know of a change with iOS7 that would cause this problem to reoccur? Any suggestions/solutions? THANKS

cannot send or receive mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.