Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac white screen - how best to proceed

My iMac will not start up - stops on the white screen. I can access the files using Back to my Mac and am transferring some important files from the iMac to my MBP (I will try reinstalling OSX, but want to try everything else first in case I can't use Back to my Mac after reinstalling), BUT

1. Cannot access the Mail library from the MBP (the iMac Mail is set to POP) as the Library has gone and hidden itself again!!!!!!!!!!! (Why on earth did Apple make this a hidden file?) - so - would it be likely to work if I tried to remotely change the iMac mail account to smtp, or, is there any way of unhiding the Library remotely?, OR

2. The iMac is backed up to Time Machine - could I access the Library from the MBP via this route?, AND

3. My iPhone, Ipod etc are all linked to iTunes on the Imac - if I can get to them can I move the iTunes files to the MBP without a problem?, AND

4. Is there any way (if the iMac is truely dead) to remove the hard disk either to use it as an external disk or to ensure it is destroyed along with the data on it?

Thanks

iMac and MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 5:18 AM

1 reply

Jul 4, 2012 7:32 AM in response to paulpp

Insert your original grey installation disc and restart while holding the C key, choose you language and when you get to the screen with atop menu bar go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. Choose your hard drive in the panel to the left and click repair. When it's done you can quit DU, restart and you should be good to go.

iMac white screen - how best to proceed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.