Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine OSStatus Error 2

I have a Seagate Goflex Home network drive. I have been using Time Machine on my MacBook Pro with this drive to the Backup Volume (there's also a "Public" and "Personal" volume on this drive.

I did something I shouldn't have done. I deleted the Time Machine back up folder from the Backup volume. I read in various places on the web that I shouldn't do this. But did I listen? Noooooooo.

Now, when I go to Time Machine preferences and select a drive, it asks me to log into the drive (but I am already logged in). I do so and click to connect and I get an error message:

Time Machine can't acces the backup disk "GoFlex Home Backup".

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

So, I've read that if I delete the Time Machine info from this disk that I may need to reformat the drive to use it with Time Machine again.

I have lots of other data (in the other volumes) on this drive.

Am I hosed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 7:20 AM

8 replies

Jul 6, 2012 4:01 PM in response to timmyboylad

I'm putting my experience here since it's related to the same error, but under different circumstances.

My TM backup is on a QNAP TS-809 Pro NAS, using its built-in TM capabilities. When attempting to configure a new Mac to use it, I was supplying my regular NAS credentials and not the TimeMachine user credentials, like I should have. Presumably, TM would log in and not see the sparebundle the TM system will automatically create. That's the genesis of the error, methinks.

So, check your credentials if you know your TM backup spot exists but you're getting this error!

Jul 19, 2012 9:01 AM in response to timmyboylad

Okay, Thanks to those who responded but neither of those was the solution. Actually, erasing the backup volume and starting over would have worked but it was not a very apatizing choice so I researched further and found the answer in the Seagate GoFlex Home preferences. I was able to reset the user password (renaming it the same password) and now all is well. Time Machine can use the same Backup Volume without erasing it.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2013 1:57 PM in response to timmyboylad

For everyone who deleted the "Backup Folder":

Choose another disk for backup, rsync the newly created folder "Shared Items"

"chown -R root:stuff Shared\ Items && chmod 755 Shared\ Items

drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root staff - 102B Nov 14 22:40 Shared Items/

change into this folder and

chmod 770 Backups

drwxrwx---+ 3 root staff - 102B Nov 14 22:48 Backups/

change into the folder "Backups" and:

chmod 644 .com.apple*

-rw-r--r--+ 1 root staff - 234B Nov 14 22:48 .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist

-rw-r--r--+ 1 root staff - 0B Nov 14 22:41 .com.apple.timemachine.supported

disable the new drive, and reenable the old drive, where the folder has been deleted.

For me: Works!

Have phun!

Oct 6, 2015 6:46 PM in response to timmyboylad

resting the password worked perfectly for me. I can add some extra information; I had the problem when putting in a new hard drive. I bought a bare 2 TB Seagate and put it in the GoFlex case. I had to format it externally for this to work (on my mac using exFAT) and then I reformatted to NTFS on the seagate. I had the time machine error as above, got frustrated till I read this post and now all is well.

Time Machine OSStatus Error 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.