5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2012 12:06 PM by Jeff Nitschke
Don Hutchinson1 Level 1 (5 points)

I have my iweb work files, a "saved" version  that I can recver the iweb version, an iinternallly store FTP like folder and the actual site itself online

I am unclear how they all work together?   for backup and restore.

For example I wnto create links on my real site. Buu I suspect that thy cnnot be fully tested until i uzse the real online version.

Can I use the interna foder versio to replace the live web site?  and how to do that.

CanI test external links from the internal folder version.

Then can I update the live site from that internal  folder back up.?

The manual is  notoriously silent on all tbis. and with the demise of Mobile me, may well be gone too.

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Ethmoid Level 6 (11,045 points)

If you have a site published to your desktop then you can upload this to your host/server using an ftp client such as Cyberduck or Yummy ftp.

This is the published version of your site that contains html and css files. 

You can test links to ensure that they work when you open the html files in a web browser, but you can't alter anything - you need your domain.sites file to be able to do this.

• Don Hutchinson1 Level 1 (5 points)

Yes I ecognize that

Hwever, when I looked at th options availaablw to meto do that the Publish Window did not allw me to choose the backk up folder  - or at lest that whet I saw

• Old Toad Level 10 (135,334 points)

Use the File ➙ Publish to a Folder menu option in iWeb 2:

iW2Filemenu.PNG

If you want to backup your website the file that needs to be backed up is the Domain.sites file that resides in your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. That file is the most important file of your website.

OT

• Ethmoid Level 6 (11,045 points)

No well it won't because you are in iWeb and the data in iWeb is different from the data stored in any backup file - your back up file in this case contains published material which iWeb cannot access.  Backup is your domain.sites file - nothing more and nothing less.

Suggest you follow OT's instructions above.

• Jeff Nitschke Level 4 (2,655 points)

And another visual aid:

iWeb '08 publish to a folder Video