Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install mac os x leopard from dmg?

I don't know how to install mac os x 10.5 leopard from a dmg i bought a retail copy of leopard when it came out to keep a backup of the disk i made a dmg file from the disk to still be able to install leopard without the disk if i were to lose the disk. I lost the disk 2 years later. but i still have the dmg file what should i do to install leopard from the dmg file. I'm going to install mac os x 10.5 leopard on my ibook g4 (july 2005 model) with ram of 768mb1.33 Ghz PowerPC G4. Can anyone tell how to install mac os x 10.5 leopard from a dmg file. I'll give 10 points to who ever answers.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.2), iBook g4 2005

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:56 AM

12 replies

Jul 4, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Lester1234

You can't install it from a .dmg. A dmg has to be mounted to be "seen" and it won't mount unless there is a system running, but then you have to unmount the DMG in order to reboot and then the mounted image is gone when you need to boot from it, etc. Basically you cannot boot from a DMG.

You will need to use the dmg and Disk Utility to burn the files onto a DVD.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4211728/how-to-make-bootable-dvd-for-mac-os-x

install mac os x leopard from dmg?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.