Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing new internal hard drive. How do I safely clone my existing BOOTCAMP partition?

I have a 13 inch Aluminum Late 2008 MacBook. Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53). Currently I have a 160 GB SATA disk as my hard drive a d 4 GB of memory. (Is it time to upgrade or what?) I recently bought a Western Digital 1 TB internal hard drive to replace my exisiting internal hard drive. I spent a lot of time last night trying to first- connect this new hard drive to my computer so that I can then clone the existing hard drive and then hoping that I would get that done so I could install the new hard drive. No such luck.

My current hard drive is partitioned as follows:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

Size: 132.5 GB

Name: BOOTCAMP

Format: Windows NT File System (NTFS)

Size: 26.69 GB

When I was partitioning the new drive I did so as follows:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Size: 973.51 GB

Name: BOOTCAMP

Format: MS-DOS (FAT) --- This was the only option that I was given that I thought would work. I did not have the option of "Windows NT File System (NTFS) to choose from. Question # 1: is that going to be a problem? I only run 1 program on Windows and that is the only reason I have BOOTCAMP on there at all. However, I do HAVE to have that program. Like I said it didn't give me the option to choose Windows so I didn't know where to go with this. Any help with that would be awesome.

Size: 26.34 GB (I just used the same size that was current, or close to it.)

I connected the Western Digital 1 TB through an external device, partitioned it as stated above, and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the drives. The first one went through fine. (It took 2 hours and I went to bed before it finished.) This morning I woke to see that it had gone through well. I then started the process with the BOOTCAMP drives. However, before I started it gave me errors stating that I wouldn't be able to run Windows off of the Cloned BOOTCAMP drive. Question #2: Is it because of the Format type I chose when partitioning? Or something else? I am unsure where to go from here. I would really appreciate any help that is out there. I would love to get this new drive installed ASAP. Thank you so much in advance!

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:53 AM

There is a program called "winclone" to clone your bootcamp partition.

8 replies

Jul 5, 2012 12:55 PM in response to Lexiepex

Well yes and no. I succeeded with the clone. All of the information seems to be there. However, it isn't showing in the system preferences - start up disk -- as a start up disk option. Therefore I assume it didn't clone correctly, or at least not in a way to use it the way I was. I am thinking it may be a better idea to just run Parallels or a similar software program. I rarely use the software that has to run in Windows. And maybe that will be the easiest way. I think I will still have to change the way I have it because I assume if it isn't running as it was before now I must have done something wrong.

I am unsure of where to go from here. But know that I really do appreciate your help. 🙂

Installing new internal hard drive. How do I safely clone my existing BOOTCAMP partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.