Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset a Mac all over

Dear community,

Recently I bought a new Mac and I'd like to gift my old Macbook Pro (running MacOS 10.7.4) to my wife, so she can renew her old Macbook (white, Core2 Duo generation, running MacOS 10.6.8).

The data and apps migration from my old Macbook Pro to the new one was smooth and faultless. But migrating data and apps from my wife's computer to my old Macbook Pro didn't. All the apps were transfered but not the data (no big deal) nor the Mail (the Apple's mail app) account.

As I didn't sign out the old Macbook Pro from iCloud or Mail, I guess there was a conflict when receiving the new data from my wife's computer. Obviously, I want to keep the old Macbook Pro along with MacOS 10.7.4, so I would't restore it.

Any suggestion to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.4), iPhone 4 running iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 9:47 AM

2 replies

Jul 4, 2012 9:58 AM in response to Rokeboogie

P.S.

As a result of the migration process, my wife's user was created in my old Macbook Pro. After that I tried to delete my user. The user disappeared, but the user folders in the Finder remained, which can't be deleted. Then I tried to create a new user for my wife and, as a result of this, there are now two users for my wife, but there aren't folders for them in the Finder.

Jul 5, 2012 8:35 AM in response to Rokeboogie

Dear community,

After a few attempts, it wasn't possible for me to transfer the remaining configuration data. So I restored the Macbook Pro as new and followed the migration process. So the Macbook Pro lost its 10.7.4 Lion MacOS.

Probably the conflict was the Lion, which I purchased with my own iTunes account. As my wife has a different iTunes account, a sort of identity sttruggle took place here.

BTW, I disagree with the new licensing, for I purchased the Lion for my Macbook Pro, not for myself. It isn't possible to keep the license for the computer and not for the account holder? After all, the Lion is running in the computer, not in myself.

How to reset a Mac all over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.