Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronize ERASE iPAD

I formated my computer and now iTunes does not recognize my iPad anymore:

1. How can I synch it with this computer?
  2. When I press CANCEL, it starts to synch something anyway. It this safe?

See print screen: http://screencast.com/t/WeqLs35da

User uploaded file

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 1:00 PM

10 replies

Jul 4, 2012 1:43 PM in response to Allan Sampson

No, the iPad was fresh, I just connected it once. It had no important data in it.

But now, I have it packed of important data and need a to back-it-up.

There has to be a way to "tell" the iPad to synchronize with a new computer and "forget" about the last computer! No?!

Plus, I have only one iTunes account and it should detect that I am the same user, no?!

Jul 4, 2012 2:13 PM in response to zuzullo

Since you are Windows sufferer and are forced to re-format your hard drive and/or re-install Windows far too often (I've never had to reinstall OS X on any of my Macs over the last 10+ years), you need to de-authorize your computer first. The 3 authorized computers are probably the same computer. Regardless, once you reach 5 authorized computers you can de-authorize all from an existing authorized computer (this can be done once a year) followed by re-authorizing the computer or computers you want or need authorized.

Jul 4, 2012 2:42 PM in response to zuzullo

Since you didn't include your iTunes library with your computer's backup, your iPad will be erased of all iTunes content the first time you sync your iPad with iTunes on a new or different computer. By reformatting your computer's hard drive and re-installing Windows, your computer is detected as a new or different computer which has nothing to do with your iTunes account and re-authorizing the computer with your iTunes account.

The difference now is all iTunes content on your iPad is now in your iTunes library and can be re-transferred to the iPad.

For future reference since this won't be the last time you have to re-format your computer's hard drive and re-install Windoze, check this link with instructions for backing up your iTunes library. Backing up and re-storing your iTunes library this way will prevent this the next time you reformat your computer's hard drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

Jul 4, 2012 2:50 PM in response to Allan Sampson

oh god, I promise I'll be 100% apple soon 🙂

This is a bit scary. You mean that it should now be safe to erase and synchronize?

All my expensive APPS and their documents, emails, notes, and even 20gb of photos, will be in the iPad after this process? "I have bought some expensive maritime charts!" Cant loose those either!

Jul 4, 2012 3:06 PM in response to zuzullo

The warning message is in regards to your iTunes library only. This includes any music, movies, tv shows, and apps purchased/downloaded direct from the iTunes store with your iPad which should now be in your iTunes library.

Emails, notes, and photos are not in your iTunes library.

20GB of photos came from where? Photos in the Camera Roll can be imported by your computer as with any other digital camera.

After transferring all iTunes content from your iPad and importing the photos from the Camera Roll, right-click on your iPad under Devices in the iTunes source list and select Back Up from the menu window provided.

Follow this by restoring your iPad with iTunes from your iPad's backup. After the backup is restored, select Sync Apps under the Apps tab and the same for music under the Music tab for your iPad sync preferences with iTunes making your selections below these tabs followed by a sync to re-transfer your selected iTunes content - namely the apps. As long as the email account is an Exchange or IMAP account, all email should remain on the server.

Jul 18, 2012 4:14 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Hei Allan, Thank you for your help so far. About the items to be backup:

• Email: is stored at the server
  • Camera Roll: All fotos have been backup manually to the PC.
  • Notes: I need to be sure they are backup in iTunes and will be restored after I push [ERASE and SYNC].
  • 20Gb of fotos: is a library that we use for work. The photos are in an application that allows sorting by categories, (File-Browser), is all info also in the iTunes already or will I need to copy everything again after I push [ERASE and SYNC].
  • Maritime charts & application: This should be more then 2Gb of data. How can I be sure that it is in the backup already and that it will be restored with all personal routes, tracks and survey, that I have created after purchase?

Thanks a lot in advance. At the shop nowone had a clue of what I was talking about. 🙂 Maybe people really only use the device for browsing!

Synchronize ERASE iPAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.