Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to pay for Mountain Lion, just bought Lion 2 days ago?

On July 1 I purchased Lion and haven't even gotten it installed yet and just read that Mountain Lion will be released in July. Will Apple offer a free update like they do for people who buy a Mac with Lion after June 11, 2012?

This is what the website says about purchasing a Mac with Lion

User uploaded file

The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

Customers must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchasing their Mac computer. Customers who purchase a qualifying Mac between June 11, 2012 and the date when Mountain Lion is available in the Mac App Store will have 30 days from the OS X Mountain Lion release date to make a request.

When Mountain Lion becomes available in July, come back to this page for details on how to request your copy of Mountain Lion.

iMac,2 Mini's, Air, Macbook iPhones-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Use mac.com as my mobile network and it "Just Works"

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:02 PM

10 replies

Jul 4, 2012 8:48 PM in response to Limnos

I only bought Lion because my Address Book wouldn't sync after the end of MobileMe Saturday night. If Lion would have been on DVD and not installed I would be taking it back to the Apple store to get a credit and wait for Mountain Lion. I almost see the same parallel, I haven't installed Lion but I can't return it to the Apple Store because it's a download and I can't prove that it's not installed. I think Apple should give a free upgrade to anyone who buys a program and an update comes out within 30 days. The same thing they do for people who buy hardware and a software upgrade comes out during that period.

Jul 5, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Saillar

There's been plenty of notice about an upgrade coming out soon, so it is not like people are being tricked into buying Lion then suddenly having an upgrade appear the next day.

You are buying two different products and in the end you will have two system versions. If I buy a car today and they come out with next year's model next month I have the option of buying it or not. They are still two different things.

Jul 5, 2012 6:19 AM in response to Saillar

Saillar wrote:

I only bought Lion because my Address Book wouldn't sync after the end of MobileMe Saturday night.

Really Apple sent out notices about this happening for months. And has had Mountain Lion in the works for at least 4 months with notices all over the net that it will be released sometime this summer.

Simple answer is NO you will not be offered a free upgrade.

If you used your CC to purchase it call Apple and ask to return it or contact your CC company and dispute the charge.

Jul 5, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Shootist007

If the premise is correct, that a needed functionality was rendered useless by the canceling of MobileMe and the only solution was to upgrade to an operating system that will be obsolete in a month, what choices are available?

1. Go without the functionality for a month. Not acceptable.

2. Be forced into buying a soon to be obsolete OS, even though you know it will be obsolete.

Using the car analogy, this would be like the manufacturer removing the brakes from your existing car, forcing you to buy a new one now even though you know the new models are coming out in thirty days.

Jul 5, 2012 11:46 AM in response to Badunit

Lion has been out for a year+. Apple made very clear that it was dropping the other service shortly after Lion came out. Apple sent out notices about the change. Those notices started months and months ago.

You can still access your mail on the iCloud servers from the Me and Mac address without having iCloud installed on your Mac.

Not sure why you replied to me.

Jul 5, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Badunit

So you bought Lion now. Just use it. You should

wait any way before upgrading to Mountain Lion to

see what issues are encountered by the early adopters.

No one is putting a gun to your head and saying that

you MUST upgrade to Mountain Lion as soon as it comes

out. Actually, you may never want to. Just as many

won't upgrade from Snow Leopard.

And its obvious by the timing of your purchase your not

a got to have the latest and greatest junkie.

Do I have to pay for Mountain Lion, just bought Lion 2 days ago?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.