Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

home folder location in magic triangle setup without altering AD user

Howdy,

I have a situtation in which a user logs into a mac which is bound both to AD and OD in a magic triangle setup. Can their home folder be located on the lion server, without editing the user profile info in AD Users and Groups.

I'm wondering if I can set a managed preference either from a .plist file or something else in Workgroup manager for the home folders to be created on the Lion Server.

The problem is the students can login to a mac or windows pc, and we don't want them having network profiles when logging into Windows. Those are just temporary local profiles at the moment and get deleted at logout.

Hopefuly that makes sense.

Thanks,

Braden

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 8:14 PM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Orlando Salazar

Hi,

What I ended up doing, was turning on Mobile accounts for the students in Workgroup manager. I ended up not having to touch any AD settings for the users at all. This meant the macs were storing the profiles for the

students when they were logging in. I then found in Workgroup manager I could also force the profile to be stored on the server by editing a plist file.

Look below....

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So when a student logs in for the first time, the profile gets created on the server, and also locally. It will sync back and forth between the workstation and server automatically. The students can move around, but if they have heaps of work in their profile, it will be slow to login initially, as it does a sync that first time they login to a new machine.

Other than that, their mac login is not interferring with their login to Windows machines, so all is working well. They are being kept seperate.

Hopefully that makes sense.

cheers,

b

Nov 7, 2013 1:34 AM in response to Orlando Salazar

Orlando Salazar wrote:

That worked great!!!! Thnx for the reply.

I have another question for you, now that you have the network folders created, how do you prevent users from going to other users network forlders and modifying them?

Thank you again!

The users network folders are 'owned' by the respective users and the standard permissions do not allow other users - even an administrator to access them. (The root/superuser account can of course access anything.)

home folder location in magic triangle setup without altering AD user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.