Skip navigation

Time Machine causing my system drive to fill up

756 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2012 5:22 PM by BDAqua RSS
joemax93 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 5, 2012 12:54 AM

I really don't know what's happening!

I turned on Time Machine agian after having it off for a month or so. It ran a new back up (whch took almost 12 hours) and all seemed normal. But now, whenever it runs an hourly back up, my system drive gets filled up with something - I don't know what - until it has zero space left!

I can't tell what  it's doing or what files have been stuck onto my system drive. If I could tell that, I'd remove them.

So I have two qusetions:

First, what is happening with my system drive? The only thing I've changed is turning on Time Machine. Why would it transfer files to my system drive instead of (or in addition to) storing backups on my backup drive? (The BU drive is a Western Digital 2TB)

Second, is there any way I can determine what files have been added to my system drive to make it fill all the way up? Is there some way to search by a criteria of "files saved to system drive in the last day"?

Please help, it's making my computer useless!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,755 points)
    Jul 5, 2012 10:19 AM (in response to joemax93)

Hi Joe, I suspect the external is disconnecting itself or such.

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists. Try trashing the duplicates with a 1 or 2 if there are no real files in them, and reboot.

If it does contain data...

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2474

Jul 5, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to joemax93)

Oh boy Joe, what Apple doesn't tell you is that 10 GB of free disk space is not enough AND isn't free for your use, and in my experience 10.5.8 will be sluggish with less than 30 GB free, higher OS versions needing even more.

Open Activity Monitor in Applications>Utilities, select All Processes & sort on CPU%, any indications there?

How much RAM & free space do you have also, click on the Memory & Disk Usage Tabs.

In the Memory tab, are there a lot of Pageouts?

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-18666790-125104/450-323/AMPageouts.jpg

See if you can clear off a few GBs.

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?

OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/download/

Jul 6, 2012 10:06 AM (in response to joemax93)

Pageouts are from last startup, so depends how long it's been running, but means you don't have enough RAM/Memeory to run everything you want.

What does yours say under the Pie chart, & how mch oer to the left after Free: ?

Jul 6, 2012 5:22 PM (in response to joemax93)

That should make it increadably slow with so little green/free memory.

You need more RAM & more free space on the drive.

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.