Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hirogino Sans GB font

I lost the system font Hirogino Sans GB when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion.

I've tried the net but no luck. I even tried purchasing but I can't find a font house that supplies it. How can I get a hold of a copy of this font (w3 and w6)?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Font for InDesign CS5.5 layout

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 1:42 AM

4 replies

Jul 5, 2012 3:29 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you, Tom

This may be a font you need to opt for when installing as I've asked quite a few collegues on Lion and Snow Leopard if they have it in their system/library/fonts - and none of them have.

Aan outside company set up my work mac and installed all the software. They didn't leave me with any CDs for the system software. Do you know how I can obtain this from Apple to re-install (not using my AppleID as I have purchased this software for my home laptop as a matter separate from my work-based mac)?

Regards

Alexajoy

Jul 5, 2012 4:10 AM in response to Alexajoy

Alexajoy wrote:

This may be a font you need to opt for when installing

There are no such fonts.

NOT system/library/fonts, but library/fonts. Please do look there. Mine certainly does have them.

If you cannot use the standard reinstall methods, then you perhaps need to consult with the company who did your software.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Are these fonts missing on both your home and office mac's?

Do you need these for Simplified Chinese text?

Jul 5, 2012 6:20 AM in response to Alexajoy

Hiragino Sans GB W3.otf and Hiragino Sans GB W6.otf are installed both by Snow Leopard and Lion in the main /Library/Fonts/ folder. Are they actually missing from that folder, or are they just not showing up in your applications?

Since you don't have the OS disks, you can still extract them from the Lion installer. If necessary, login to your App Store account and download the Lion installer again. When the message to begin the install comes up, you can cancel out of it like any other program by pressing Command+Q. That will leave the installer in the Applications folder.

You can of course also just let it install, but the installer will be deleted at the end. I suggest quitting first so you can make a backup copy of it. Then you have it on hand if you need to do a reinstall rather than waiting for that very long download to complete again.

Once in hand, you can extract the two fonts you need from the Lion installer. Follow the directions at the bottom of Font Management in OS X.

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

Hirogino Sans GB font

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.