Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to log in to iCloud from iPad

I have been running iCloud for sometime on my iPad1 with IOS 5. When I use Safari to go to the iCloud site I am always directed to the welcome screen saying to install iCloud on this device. When I try to install it, it just gives me instructions. When the instructions say to open Settings, click on iCloud, and login with AppleID, I am simply shown the iCloud options, and I can't log in to iCloud.

Does anybody know what is wrong? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 4:39 AM

There is nothing wrong and you don't fix it. iCloud.com is not designed to be used with a mobile device.

You access your icloud.com site using a web browser on your computer. That is how to get to the files that you have created and edited on the iPad. You download those files onto your desktop, edit them and then drag the files back into the web browser and when you launch the appropriate app on the iPad, your edited files can be accessed in that corresponding app. (Pages, Numbers, etc.)

What is it that you want to do in your icloud.com account on the iPad that you cannot do in one of the apps on the iPad already?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2012 4:39 AM in response to bob.rutkowski

There is nothing wrong and you don't fix it. iCloud.com is not designed to be used with a mobile device.

You access your icloud.com site using a web browser on your computer. That is how to get to the files that you have created and edited on the iPad. You download those files onto your desktop, edit them and then drag the files back into the web browser and when you launch the appropriate app on the iPad, your edited files can be accessed in that corresponding app. (Pages, Numbers, etc.)

What is it that you want to do in your icloud.com account on the iPad that you cannot do in one of the apps on the iPad already?

Jul 5, 2012 6:08 AM in response to bob.rutkowski

I can access my iCloud.com website on my iMac at work running OS X 10.4.11 - Tiger. I do it all the time. There are many things that you can't do with iCloud unless you are running Lion, but trust me, you can access the iCloud.com account on a Mac running Snow Leopard. Give it a try. You will have to enter your ID and password and then you will have access to the Calendar.

You can't access the iCloud account in Safari on the iPad. It will not work.

Jul 8, 2012 2:43 AM in response to pbarber

You can work around this by accessing iCloud on an iPad using a browser that can identify itself as a browser that is not Safari on an iPad. The free Mercury browser can do this. Download it from the AppStore, then go to Settings > Functions > Identify Browser as and select Safari(Mac OSX). This will make the iCloud server think you are accessing it from a desktop Mac and allow you on the iCloud website to access your mail.

Dec 11, 2012 1:36 PM in response to bob.rutkowski

It sure is frustrating to ask a simple question, and then to have someone shoot back an entirely unhelpful response like, "login with Safari for WHAT?"

Because that is what he wants to do!

It is one thing to ask such a question in order to understand what the person is trying to accomplish, but it is entirely another thing to reply in a manner that suggests his reason for wanting to know is illegitimate.

Like Bob, I also think people should be able to access their iCloud accounts from an iOS browser, and especially Safari for crying out loud! Perhaps the question should be, "Why can't we do this!?"

If a friend and I are traveling together, and if he has his own iCloud account, but didn't bring his laptop or iPad, why can't he check his email using Safari on my iPad? He could do that using my MacBook, why not my iPad?

Lord forbid that two people temporarily share an iPad because maybe one of them won't go out and buy their own Apple device! Everyone needs multiple iOS devices at all times, crammed into their cars, desks, backpacks and personal orifices.

Also, you better not travel internationally on a budget because if you use internet cafes and try to access your iCloud account, those computers might not have the proper version or types of browsers. This has happened to me many times using the .Mac and MobileMe services, but I've been too much of a silly Apple loyalist to "switch." Apparently Apple cannot afford to hire undergraduate computer science majors to write interfaces for the world's most common browsers.

I have purchased thousands of dollars of Apple products over the years, but as the corporation becomes more and more selfish and draconian, I am beginning to reconsider my commitment to the entire platform. Also, I don't like being associated with consumer fundamentalists who must defend any decision made by this corporation.

Feb 17, 2013 8:03 PM in response to Demo

Actually, there is a need to be able to access iCloud mail through a browser on an iPad.

I teach at a university. When I'm on the university LAN, I can't use any outside mail server. I can, however, connect to the Internet.

I agree with those who wish Apple and Microsoft wouldn't try so hard to force us into the mold of their hypothetical user. I came to the forum today looking for a solution to this very problem, and I find that it's needlessly denied.

Jun 9, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Verché

Tap on the 3 horizontal lines at the top right hand side of the Mercury toolbar. That is how you access the settings in Mercury. Then tap on User Agent in the bottom right corner of the settings window. You can identify as a desktop browser in that setting.

One other point... I cant swear that you can do this with a "free" version of Mercury. I have the paid version. Many times you do not full functionality of an app with the free version and that includes web browsers.

Unable to log in to iCloud from iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.