Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt display loses sound/usb/network after computer sleep / turn off

The display works perfectly up until the point the computer is shut down or put in to sleep mode.

After this when the computer is turned back on again the USB / Sound / Network functions don't work, I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in.

I have the latest firmware so not sure how to fix.

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 4:53 AM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2012 10:04 PM in response to StripeBristol

This has been nagging problem for some time with my set up as well (Thuderbolt display and a macbook air 2011.) The latest firmware update seems to have alleviated the problem - now when there is no sound from the Thunderbolt display, I just disconnect it from the MacbookAir for about 5-10 seconds, and then reconnect (while the Macbookair remains awake the whole time). The sound seems to come back usally at that point...

Sep 22, 2012 9:29 PM in response to Philip Green1

I now have the same issue with TBD and rMBP. After applying the EFI and 10.8.2 OS X update, my rMBP will not wake from sleep with the USB keyboard connected via TBD. I have no issues with sound or external HDDs though.

My workaround for now is to connect the USB keyboard directly to the rMBP USB port and I can wake from sleep. I've called Applecare today and finally they had me send a log of my system so their engineers can look at it. Should hear back from them in a few days.

For now, I recommend connecting your keyboard directly to the rMBP instead of TBD to wake from sleep.

Will update once I hear back from the Applecare folks.

Oct 12, 2012 9:07 PM in response to StripeBristol

I have been facing similar problem myself. I recently reinstalled mountain lion because my rMBP was giving me some troubles. Now since last night my Thunderbolt Display sound keeps going away. If I reconnect the display the sound remains for like a minute and then again gone. Although this issue wasn't there when I plugged the display into my sisters MBP 13. This makes me wonder if I got a crappy rMBP but series of questions here tells me otherwise. Restarting does help but in my case for only a few minutes or so.

Thunderbolt display loses sound/usb/network after computer sleep / turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.