12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2012 1:27 AM by Keith Doherty3 Branched to a new discussion.
Eden Bensal Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

How can I check if the iPhone 4S that I want to buy is factory unlock?

the seller told that the iPhone is from Los Angels and is new in the box.

He said that I can came to his house and connect & activate the iPhone via iTunes with my sim.

Can I check trough iTunes if the iPhone is factory unlock?

thanks!

• Kolikok Level 1 (20 points)

He said you could come to his house to activate your phone? That sounds highly unprofessional.

What do you mean with "factory unlock"?

• xtremecarbon Level 4 (2,235 points)

Restoring the phone is the only way to test for an unlocked phone, since iTunes will let you know if it's unlocked or not.

You are much better off purchasing an unlocked phone from Apple directly. There are many ways to get a locked iPhone unlocked.

• mithcd Level 1 (50 points)

Sounds like a good deal to me only if you know the one selling it. Thanks for the tip xtreme. /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/188/18831852-1.gif

• Eden Bensal Level 1 (0 points)

I don't know this man who selling this and because of that I want to be sure that I buying unlock iPhone.

when I said factory unlock I mean that the phone cannot lock NEVER and I able to update him any time via iTunes without relock the iPhone.

so according you I need to:

1) open the box

2) insert my sim to the iPhone

3) connect the iPhone to iTunes and activate the phone

4) doing restore?

thank again all of you ppl.

• KiltedTim Level 9 (50,310 points)

Don't buy it. If you want an unlocked phone, go to the Apple Store and buy one. If the price for the one you want to buy is substantially less, then something is wrong.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

I didn't said that is cheap. the price is 760$.

1) In israel there isn't Apple store just local store that selling this phone and in higher price than 760$.

2) If I go to his house and check that the phone is really unlocked I dont need to worry at atll.

Um... yes, you do. Why would you buy something from an unknown, untrusted individual when you can buy it at a US Apple Store for the same price give or take (you don't say what the capacity is), and get a LEGITIMATE phone you know is unlocked?

becuase I can't buy it in US I live in ISRAEL!

In the same price (760$) I can buy brand new iPhone 4 32GB factory unlocked from trusted seller.

there is huge difference between iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4S in the PERFORMANCE? (Cortex A8 Vs. Cortex A9)?

It doesn't matter where you are from. If you have a credit card and you're in the US, as your first post implied, then you can walk into an Apple Store and buy an iPhone.

If you are NOT in the US and you're talking about buying one from someone in the US and having it shipped to you, I can almost guarantee that you're going to get ripped off.

• deggie Level 9 (52,667 points)

Ask him to give you the model number and serial number then call AppleCare and ask if it is unlocked.

• flomanel Level 1 (30 points)

If you still haven't gotten the phone, you can always request the IMEI number of the iPhone, go to http://iphoneox.com/ and they will quickly check the unlock status for free. I've done it several time and it works like a charm. I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and a factory unlocked iPad 1 and the site recognized them correctly.

• Keith Doherty3 Level 4 (1,795 points)

NEVER give an IMEI number to any un authorised /un known and un secure web site.

This is MAJOR security risk as IMEI numbers have the potential to be cloned to stolen phones.