Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod nano 3rd generation, when connected by usb, does not show up in itunes, does not show up on my computer, does not seem to charge by the wall charger. It just has a black screen. Any ideas for me?

My ipod nano 3rd generation, when connected by usb, does not show up in itunes, does not show up on my computer, does not seem to charge by the wall charger. It just has a black screen. Any ideas for me?

I've run diagnostics. Can't find device. I've tried resetting. The toggle has been turned on and off.

iPod nano, Windows 7, cord seems fine

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:49 AM

3 replies

Jul 5, 2012 1:28 PM in response to psalm27.4

Have you tried a different USB sync cable to rule out the possibility of a faulty cable? How did you try and reset the device? How long have you left it to charge? Is the hold switch in the Off position?

If nothing else, the battery may be shot or some other internal component has burned out. Either way, you'll need to have the iPod serviced or replaced, either by Apple or a third party repair company.

B-rock

Jul 6, 2012 8:22 PM in response to planb77

Cable works fine on my other iPod. Reset by pressing menu and center button together for 6-10 seconds. Left it to charge for many hours. Started acting up while running. Suddenly the music stopped playing but my Nike + was still working for the rest of my run. Took it straight it home and plugged it in to the wall to recharge since the battery was fairly low. Looked like it recharged ok but then screen went blank and now does it not show up on iTunes, does not seem to recharge by the wall charger (apple wall charger plugged into a surge protector in India). I have turned the hold switch off and on many times.

Sounds like a repair issue, which is not easy to do in India :(

Jul 8, 2012 3:35 PM in response to psalm27.4

It sounds like your iPod may have possibly come into contact with moisture. Some sweat may have seeped into the iPod and fried some of it's internal components.

So yes, you'll have to have the iPod repaired or replaced. You can still probably arrange to have it to sent to Apple, although their pricing is the likely the highest.

B-rock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.