Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I configure my Windows clients to talk to Mac OS X Server 10.6

We had a MacAuthority technician install the server software for us, but he did not configure the Windows clients to talk to the server. I have tried several approaches, all evidently wrong. Everything I have read says the Windows clients need "open directory" passwords, and he has set them up as "shadow passwords". Heaven only knows what else is messed up. Please someone step me through this -- I will set them up as new users and see if I can make it work that way.

G5 I Mac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 10:32 AM

What sort of a resulting configuration or environment are you seeking?

If you're looking to have your Windows clients access storage on your OS X Server and to not authenticate with your OS X Server system, then you can dispense with some of the configuration steps.

However if you're looking to have the same login everywhere (Windows and OS X), then requirements become somewhat more complex.

And which version(s) of Windows? Particularly if you have Windows 7, the options and requirements differ.

It's less common to have Windows configured to authenticate to OS X; it's more common to use Windows Server and its Activie Directory, either in isolation or in combination with an OS X Server in what's called a "magic triangle" configuration. Alternatively (if you do want to set up this direct authentication of Windows and OS X Server and Open Directory), then see Mac OS X Server: Alternatives to Windows NT 4.0 domain control (PDC) technology (HT4945); that uses pGina.

And before you proceed here with any work involving authentication, delegation or related tasks, launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities folder, and issue the following non-destructive command to verify your DNS is correct:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You'll need to specify an administrative password when prompted. Proper local DNS services are central to getting any of this stuff to work, and this command will (non-destructively) indicate if DNS is correct or if there are issues or changes needed.

The OS X Server 10.6 documentation is available from Apple, and that can help provide you with some background in this topic. The 10.6 intro, 10.6 User Management, and 10.6 Open Directory would likely be worth downloading and skimming. Probably also 10.6 File Services, if that's part of your goal. (Running a server isn't quite as no-IT-required as might be hoped, unfortunately. And I don't know of a short cookbook for this stuff; the steps and configurations can vary, depending on your local requirements - apologies on pointing to the docs here.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2012 10:32 AM in response to Liz Waters

What sort of a resulting configuration or environment are you seeking?

If you're looking to have your Windows clients access storage on your OS X Server and to not authenticate with your OS X Server system, then you can dispense with some of the configuration steps.

However if you're looking to have the same login everywhere (Windows and OS X), then requirements become somewhat more complex.

And which version(s) of Windows? Particularly if you have Windows 7, the options and requirements differ.

It's less common to have Windows configured to authenticate to OS X; it's more common to use Windows Server and its Activie Directory, either in isolation or in combination with an OS X Server in what's called a "magic triangle" configuration. Alternatively (if you do want to set up this direct authentication of Windows and OS X Server and Open Directory), then see Mac OS X Server: Alternatives to Windows NT 4.0 domain control (PDC) technology (HT4945); that uses pGina.

And before you proceed here with any work involving authentication, delegation or related tasks, launch Terminal.app from Applications > Utilities folder, and issue the following non-destructive command to verify your DNS is correct:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You'll need to specify an administrative password when prompted. Proper local DNS services are central to getting any of this stuff to work, and this command will (non-destructively) indicate if DNS is correct or if there are issues or changes needed.

The OS X Server 10.6 documentation is available from Apple, and that can help provide you with some background in this topic. The 10.6 intro, 10.6 User Management, and 10.6 Open Directory would likely be worth downloading and skimming. Probably also 10.6 File Services, if that's part of your goal. (Running a server isn't quite as no-IT-required as might be hoped, unfortunately. And I don't know of a short cookbook for this stuff; the steps and configurations can vary, depending on your local requirements - apologies on pointing to the docs here.)

Jul 5, 2012 11:55 AM in response to MrHoffman

We need for the Windows clients to access the RAID sharpoint on the server. I need to configure 1 Win 7 computer and 3 Win XP computers. I have downloaded all of the assorted documentation, but I believe they address configuring full server usage as opposed to simple shared file access. Will check the DNS, although I believe I have the correct info there. believe we have the server end configured correctly; I am just uncertain what to do on the actual Windows PC's. So far, none of the nomenclatures I have tried have worked. Will continue to pursue it. Thanks so much.

How do I configure my Windows clients to talk to Mac OS X Server 10.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.