Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command & Delete not sending to trash but context menu works

Hi everyone,

I feel very silly asking this question, but my DELETE functionality within finder is not working consistently anymore. I am only seeing this issue on my new MAC BOOK AIR (used for work and received just last week), and not on my macmini (that is also running Lion and I've had for a year).

Basically, I am having problems deleting files using CMD + DELETE. I hit this command and get the typically apple "ping" sound for a something that isn't working, however I can right click and hit MOVE TO TRASH and it goes immediately, which means it's definitely not a file permission/in-use/lockout issue.

Has anyone seen this before?

I feel like I did something stupid to cause this, but it only doesn't work occasionally. I have noticed it moreso right after I open or have used a file, but while CMD+DEL doesn't work, the MOVE TO TRASH does, so i'm lost.

any help please?

extremely frustrated and I've been through my System Pref settings alot in case I turned something off.

let me know!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 2012, 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 7:45 AM

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key and choose Library.

Then go to Preferences folder and trash this file:

com.apple.finder.plist

Then, restart, or log out and in again.

(You may have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

5 replies

Aug 13, 2013 5:26 PM in response to macjack

Thank you!

This has been causing a cascade of problems for me, namely being required to enter my password every single time I delete anything with COMMAND+DELETE...

It would bypass the trash and delete completely, or so I thought. Finally realized today I had about a 40gb backlog that I could only clear with this little bit of terminal code I found online:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/

But I couldn't fix the password requirement until I found your solution!

Thanks again.

Command & Delete not sending to trash but context menu works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.