Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased a MacBook Pro, than an ipad3, synced them. The Macbook Pro was subsequently destroyed in an accident. I bought a new Macbook Pro. I cannot synch my ipad to the new MacBook because I am instructed to unsynch the old computer but can't?

I purchased a MacBook Pro, than an ipad3, synced them OK.

The Macbook Pro was subsequently destroyed in an accident.

I bought a new Macbook Pro. I cannot sync my ipad to the new MacBook because I am instructed to unsync the old computer but can't, because it is irretrevably broken?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wholegrainsurf

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:35 AM

Yeah. Thats why icloud looks so nice now. Turn Icloud backup on. If you plug the Ipad into your computer, there should be an option to backup to this computer. I havent connected mine in so long, and I just backup to icloud. Good news is if you purchased anything its always available. I would first back it up to icloud and have a backup saved.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2012 9:35 AM in response to wholegrainsurf

Yeah. Thats why icloud looks so nice now. Turn Icloud backup on. If you plug the Ipad into your computer, there should be an option to backup to this computer. I havent connected mine in so long, and I just backup to icloud. Good news is if you purchased anything its always available. I would first back it up to icloud and have a backup saved.

Jul 5, 2012 9:40 AM in response to wholegrainsurf

1. Without connecting your iPad to your computer -

A) Install iTunes / make sure the latest version of iTunes is installed.

B) Go to the Store tab and click on "Authorise This Computer".

C) Go to Edit, click on Preferences and click on Devices. Put a check mark in the box next to "Prevent iPods/iPhones/iPads from syncing automatically". Click OK and close iTunes.

2. Connect your iPad to your computer -

A) Start iTunes (if it does not do so automatically).

B) Right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select "Transfer purchases".

C) When the transfer has completed, right click on your iPad again and select "Backup".

D) When the backup has completed, left click on your iPad, click on the Apps tab, and put a check mark in the box next to "Sync Apps", and then click on "Apply" (bottom right).

E) Unless you want to always do a manual sync (as I do), go back to Edit, Preferences and uncheck the box next to "Prevent your iPod.....".

F) Finally, on your iPad, check that everything is syncing properly. If not, go back to iTunes and check all settings.

NB You should not lose any apps. However, any 'purchased' missing apps can be downloaded again FOC. As with updates, this must be done with the Apple ID under which they were originally 'purchased'.

Also see here as to moving your music to your new computer -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

I purchased a MacBook Pro, than an ipad3, synced them. The Macbook Pro was subsequently destroyed in an accident. I bought a new Macbook Pro. I cannot synch my ipad to the new MacBook because I am instructed to unsynch the old computer but can't?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.