Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP w/ Retina - External monitoring problems

Brand new 2.6GHz MBP Retina, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM...

Upon connecting an HP Dreamcolor 24" display via Displayport and HDMI, all text is jagged, aliased. Images and movies themselves look OK, though when I move them between the laptop screen the Dreamcolor, the colors flicker a little, as though changing colorspaces. Never saw this before when connecting my 2007 MBP via DVI.

Changing all resolution options for both displays did not affect the issue.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 8:49 AM

4 replies

Jul 9, 2012 6:48 PM in response to kevangus

Support was not very helpful. They said it's a scaling issue, but scaling is blacked out for me. I was able to make it slightly better by using an HDMI to DVI connector. That it least got the color to full RGB (vs. YUV), but scaling is still blacked out, and because its DVI it's only 8-bit. Apple apparently does not have a 10-bit RGB monitoring solution for this machine -- unless one is to use an external video adapter (i.e., Ultrastudio 3D).

Oct 17, 2012 10:03 AM in response to kevangus

I have the setup as you, and this is not only a font aliasing issue – I see some sort of unsharpening effect (like the photoshop filter) on every element edge, accross the board. That happens only when using the displayport port on the display. I thing is just a poor displayport implementation on the LP2475W, once I did not have the same issue with other HP displays over displayport. And by the way, it all works fine over DVI with an original Apple mini displayport to dvi adaptor.

MBP w/ Retina - External monitoring problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.